cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weather forecasts

jmd
Grafter

Weather forecasts

I looked at  5 day weather forecast for where I live yesterday [North Notts as opposed to South Yorks]and it said for Friday and Saturday - sleet/snow  - I was a bit concerned as having a visitor coming up from down South who wants to visit Hodsock for the snowdrops [flower variety]
I looked again today and now it says that it will be sun and clouds!
I know 5 day forecasts are taking weather predictions a bit far but seems in this instance that they are rather too changeable in a 24 hr period.
Sheffield is only just down the road though and they are promised snow showers still on Friday.
How reliable do others think weather forcasts are?
317 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Weather forecasts

Aren't they a best guess backed up by a few million quid's worth of Super Computer Huh
Edit:
Sheffield
Light snow Friday
Heavy snow Sunday
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Captainkirk
Grafter

Aha....so its true - Bill Gates does influence the weather Smiley
Tried to talk my tutor in to cancelling a mock exam on Saturday due to the predicted bad weather - he just smiled sweetly and said be there at 9.30!!!
Tracey.
jmd
Grafter

perhaps he does not believe in weather forecasts!
James
Grafter

What's amusing is that the BBC gives different forecasts for "Sheffield City" and "Sheffield, South Yorkshire".
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

What's the forcast for Sheffield Wednesday?  Grin

Community Veteran

I too find that the weather forecasts tend to be pretty inaccurate beyond 24-48 hours' time... although I do live in the South East which has a bit more of an unpredictable climate than other parts of the country IIRC.
One note about the BBC weather: the weather forecast given online isn't as accurate as the one given in TV broadcasts. The forecast given online for somewhere is literally just a data feed from the Met Office, which calculates the said data just using some technological wizardry - rather similar to what Strat mentioned earlier. However, a TV forecast will have actually been, shall we say, 'interpreted' and 'vetted' by real people, so the accuracy is generally a bit higher.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Probably Raining on Wednesday  Grin as a high pressure system is looming, and that usually brings a change in the weather.....
Tongue Cry Huh Roll eyes
check out this link for the Weather Warnings for Yorkshire
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/yh_forecast_warnings.html
Then get your wellies dusted off, and make sure you carry a spade in the back of your car.... Smiley Wink
James
Grafter

Looking forward to coming into work tomorrow!
With about ten layers on.
jmd
Grafter

Thank you shutter for the link - gives more information than bbc.  Worksop comes under East Midlands and although not far from South Yorkshire seems to have different weather still!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

for a different slant on it try weatherbonk.com/ you put your location in top left corner of opening screen, it is possible to get a satalite map and forcast all over the world, including andinfra red cloud map.  it is free
Community Veteran

If you want to have a really (well, fairly) accurate forecast for where you live for the day, go to    met office   in google, then you will have the facility to put in your post code and the weather forecast is tabled like a skool timetable, and I have found that if it shows rain at 0900 and sunny clouds at 1200, it is reasonably accurate to the timing....  As for the five day versions, they are pretty accurate, allowing for the fact that there is no way a computer can predict  accurately, the actual speed of a cold/warm front across the country. Smiley
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Jameseh
What's amusing is that the BBC gives different forecasts for "Sheffield City" and "Sheffield, South Yorkshire".

See what you mean about the different forecasts. I suppose it's a case of pick which suites you best.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

depends on how sweet you are, which suite you are suited to..... Grin now isn`t that a word of changes......
suit......  suite......  suited ...... ?  curioser and curioser  Huh Roll eyes Huh
clockley
Grafter

And I can confirm that there *is* sleet this morning, and it is rather chilly.