Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weather forecast for November - let's see who is right

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Weather forecast for November - let's see who is right

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/3/q/A3_plots-temp-NDJ.pdf ;
SUMMARY - TEMPERATURE:
There is a strong signal in the forecast for above-average November-mean temperatures.
For November-December-January above-average temperatures are considered more likely than below, though this signal is likely strongly
influenced by the expected mild November.
Overall the probability that the UK-mean temperature for November-December-January will be in the warmest of our five categories is close to
30% and the probability that it will fall into the coldest category is approximately 15% (the 1981-2010 probability for each of these categories
is 20%).
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/436170/Worst-winter-for-decades-Record-breaking-snow-predicted-for-...
Worst winter for decades: Record-breaking snow predicted for November
BRITAIN is braced for the "worst winter in decades" with the first major snowfall expected in weeks.
By: Nathan Rao
Published: Sat, October 12, 2013
Forecasters last night warned the entire country is set for a horror freeze which will bring brutal winds and fierce blizzards.
Temperatures have already started to plunge as a swathe of cold air from the Arctic has swept across the UK in the past few days.
The first long-range forecasts warn of "recordbreaking snowfall" next month.
Heavy wintry showers are expected to cause widespread chaos with below-average temperatures possibly lingering until February.
My bet is on the Met Office even if only because I never believe anything in the Express
13 REPLIES
RichAllen
Grafter

Re: Weather forecast for November - let's see who is right

Meh, it's 1/11/13 and it's done nowt but P it down all day Cheesy
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Think I'll agree with you, Jim - Express 'weather predictions' seem to be plucked out of the air by zombies.
John
JamesM
Grafter

I will go for option number 2, I think it is going to be a bad winter this year.
Community Veteran

Aren't the MetOffice long term predictions equally poor?
I used to follow the predictions/forecasts of Joe Bastardi when he was at AccuWeather. He was pretty much spot on year after year.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Upper atmosphere jet-stream forecasts - 15th - 18th look interesting, 24th metcheck predicts low of -6C.
http://www.metcheck.com/US/jetstream.asp
itsme
Grafter

Hoping for 2, had an email from Easyjet yesterday to remind me my 1st skiing break this upcoming season is 6 weeks away.
Roberto0151
Grafter

I doubt whether http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=longrange;sess= will be more accurate than others, but it may be worth a look.
Fixes: 47

Meteorology is a science and therefore the data is open to differing interpretations by various parties.
Science is proved by experimentation.....and we are the lab rats.
I am siding with the 'harsh winter' brigade but will be happy to be proved wrong if only for the sake of my energy bills.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Substantial amounts of wild fruits/berries in the Autumn traditionally point to a harsh winter.  This year's fruit has been very heavy.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

Very good crop on my apple tree and pear tree but wasn't aware of this being an indicator....until now. Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 125

Strange you should say that, Strat, we have had a wonderful yield of apples and pears as well.
In fact, SWMBO has made some apple crumbles (with cinnamon) today for me Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

The reason you are getting good apples and pears this year, is that the trees are over-compensating for losing most of their blossom to late frosts LAST YEAR.  This summers relatively long warm spell also helped.
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
Hoping for 2, had an email from Easyjet yesterday to remind me my 1st skiing break this upcoming season is 6 weeks away.

I'm hoping for the same too - signs are good so far http://www.planetski.eu/news/5448