cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weather Forecast

peter10
Grafter

Weather Forecast

I check the short term weather forecast to plan  trips. This past few months I've found it to be totally unreliable.Sometimes heavy rain has been predicted for the following day and none has materialised and vice versa. Is it my imagination or has the forecasting got worse?  I may as well rely on some of the old wives tales. Where can I get a reliable forecast as the BBC and Met Offfice seem as much use as a chocolate teapot?
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Weather Forecast

I assume your planning trips in the UK so if you can't get a reliable forecast from the Met Office then I suspect you'll not get one anywhere else. If the Met Office can't do it then who can? They are the ones with the data, the models and computing power. Of course you have to remember it is after all a 'best effort guesstimate'.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Weather Underground, 'nuff said:
http://www.wunderground.com/
They've been the most accurate site to date that I've used as they combine all the weather data they can get (airports, military bases, home and business weather stations, aswell as some from the MET office) and produce some seriously accurate weather predictions and observations, and they have apps too for mobile devices for on-the-go weather updates and alerts... Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

This is my local area (if you can call southern england, local )... provided by the met office.... I have found it to be fairly accurate  in the timings of the rain probabiliy...
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/map/gcp32syvt#?zoom=9&locId=353641&map=Significa...
I use it , and probably so do the met office, in association with the "weather radar"...
http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/united-kingdom-weather
If you put your location in the search box at top of page       

then use the tabs for Radar    and    Minutecast      ....... 

you can see how the rain is moving towards you , or away... as the case may be.... it has been very accurate... to within a few minutes of rain forecast....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've tried accuweather in the past and it's been pretty inaccurate, in their case they seem to throw up whatever "prediction" they like and hope it matches the actual outcome, after all, there's only so many times you can claim "severe thunderstorms" on clear and sunny days before you look stupid... Grin
Community Veteran

Looking on the beeb site their "tomorrow" forecast is usually accurate but then so is mine.
Their week ahead one is rubbish. One such week predicted what seemed the return of "summer". Back to nice warm sunny days in the mid twenties.
When the week actually arrived the forecast changed to dull cool and overcast.
This seems to be the norm of any weather forecast more than a few days ahead.
Fixes: 47

I find Weather Underground quite accurate.
However I feed weather data to them every 15 minutes so I guess that makes me a little biased Wink
The Jet Stream is giving forecasters a headache these days.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I use XCW