cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weakest Link

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Weakest Link

We've been regular if not fanatical watchers of the Weakest Link for ages, but won't lose any sleep if it is missed occasionally. For Mrs Petlew and I it has personal memories. During her recovery from her first stroke it was usually on when I was visiting at her residential rehab unit, it was one of my best memories to see her progressing from staring blankly at the TV screen to answering some questions by the end of her time in the unit.
However, after watching the Weakest Link this evening, I formed the opinion that, leaving aside Anne Robinson's contributions, the actual "game" format must be about perfect. AR apart from asking the quick-fire questions has in fact no input in the elimination of contestants, this is only done by the players themselves, and it doesn't necessarily eliminate the worst player per round as its often decided on personalities.
A simple brilliant format.
PS. And yes I think Anne Robinson would be irreplaceable as the interviewer/question master. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
17 REPLIES
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Weakest Link

I'd probably watch it if it was Robert rather than Anne - but then I'm a GOS.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

The couple of times that the Weakest Link's been on when I've been in the living room I've find myself nearly cringing at all the stupid sardonicism coming from Anne Robinson. It completely spoils it in my opinion. Much more to my liking was Pointless, hosted by Alexander Armstrong – interesting questions that got the brain working, and the occasional bit of humour too.
Community Veteran

But surely Anne Robinson is the ultimate Grumpy Old Woman?

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

@Be3G, as a matter of interest I think AR has softened-up considerably lately.

jmd
Grafter

Oh, I really enjoyed Pointless too - so sorry it finished!
Used to watch "weakest link" regularly but get a bit bored with in now.  Like to see how much I know but would not be able to answer!
Fixes: 47

Deal or No Deal is also a game with a very simple format but a great deal of tension and emotion.
It was one of the few programs my late wife enjoyed in her final weeks.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I read somewhere that AR cutting remarks are filmed after the main show and then placed into the prog.  A string of writers off camera.
Community Veteran

Indeed yes, I know someone who regularly submits the remarks. But then which TV celeb doesn't have an army of writers working of them? Its not who writes them in this case its the delivery for which she has few competitors.
I've heard it said that each episode takes several hours to film, with the countdown clock being meaningless to the players and with two or three being filmed a day. If you watch carefully and have a reasonable memory, there are a number of repeats interspersed over a period of time.

Community Veteran

One of my favourite quiz programmes is 'Have I Got News For You'.  Even this has a team of writers to write some of the funny lines and the 2 regular panelists see the questions in advance to help them with their spontaneous lines.  They can only tape one show at a time because of its topicality but this can take over an hour to get in the can.  Apparently it's fun to be in the audience as the panel join in the fun during the recording.
Did anyone see last night;s show?  Bob Crow, the union leader, was on the show and I thought he did well.  He took a lot of stick particularly from Ian Hislop, but took it in good spirit.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that something to Crow about, Artmo sticking up for a Union Leader
nadger
Rising Star

Someone I knew was a contestant on Weakest Link.
He said that Anne Robinson was really nice and there was actually quite a delay between each round of questions whilst they sorted out all the stats etc. Some slick editing to make it all seamless.
I've seen the French version a few times with an equally formidable female asking the questions.
Community Veteran

Uhmm! on balance I think I prefer the edited entertainment. There aren't too many live game-shows even the Lottery show games which like to give the appearance of spontaneity are pre-recorded. Can you imagine the puerile Dale Winton preening in front of a live audience. 

nadger
Rising Star

From what Darren said there was about 20 minutes between each round so, at about 3 rounds per hour, the prog would last for several hours.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Did anyone see last night;s show?  Bob Crow, the union leader, was on the show and I thought he did well.  He took a lot of stick particularly from Ian Hislop, but took it in good spirit.

I did, and was it just me or was it all slightly old news? I got the distinct impression that they actually filmed it last week. Huh