cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

We?

I realise there is a gamers forum, but this is only a very general enquiry.
SHWMO when she occasionally visits number two step son (where I'm persona non-grata) even more occasionally gets invited to use his Nintendo Wii. Her major complaint I'm told is the seemingly inbuilt animated characters that she finds very distracting, are they a) there to deliberately distract or b) is there a way to turn them off?
You'll have to answer this as to a village idiot, as apart from feedback from the Missus I know nothing about computer games (apart from chess and card games and very few others of that sort)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
8 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: We?

Possibly difficult to answer in one sense without know which game t'other half is playing.. on the other hand I think the answer will be no you can't switch them off.
Only game that I can think of would be bowling in Wii sports where there are other Mii's around you bowling and they definatley can't be switch off in that.
Will Moderate For Thanks
James
Grafter

Hi Petlew,
I think she's referring to the "Mii's" which are basically meant to be part of the fun aspect of the Wii and you design them yourself.
Especially in the Wii Sports game, there's no way of turning them off.  I think they're quite fun.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Hi Guy's, thanks very much for your replies. A bit of close questioning has found that it is indeed Bowling and Golf that give her the most trouble. The animations (she says) are not at the same speed or coordinated with her movements. To be fair to Nintendo SHMBO since her strokes hasn't got the greatest hand/eye coordination but, she tells me she finds the out-of-sync movements of the Mii (yes you're apparently right about that) off-putting.
Since I've not used it, I find it difficult to make an informed comment.
If the animations can't be switched off, she will just have to get used to it and join in the "fun"
Thank you again.
PS. she's dropped subtle hints that we should buy one, personally I'm not keen, would I change my mind if tried one out? 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
James
Grafter

Two words.
Mario Kart Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Well, you get to play all those Wii games at lunchtime don't you Smiley
Fixes: 105

I think you'd change your mind... my parents enjoy playing it, and I haven't even shown them Mario Kart yet.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Lurker
Grafter

I would second both of Jameseh's words!
Its funny though, I found that in Wii Sports, if you time your actions to coincide with the Mii's actions, it improves accuracy a long way! If you simply try to thrash away, and expect the Mii to keep up, you have a tendency to misaim or mistime the action.
The In-laws found Wii-Sports to be pretty uninspiring, and perhaps a little off-putting due to their similar 'issues' with the Mii's.
I stayed up till three AM playing Mario Kart with the FiL though!
techguy
Grafter

Several of us in the office have DSes and during the quiet periods we regularly end up having Wi-FI head to heads on Mario Kart.  Smiley