cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'We were wrong' Government actually admits

TORPC
Grafter

'We were wrong' Government actually admits

[quote= http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2592214/We-wrong-Government-admits-not-axed-disability-benefits-Aspergers-sufferer-starved-death-just-four-months-later-weighing-five-half-stone.html]'We were wrong': Government admits it should not have axed disability benefits of Asperger's sufferer who starved to death just five months later weighing five-and-a-half stone
Iain Duncan Smith Should Be Put On Trial Over The Work Capability Assessment Deaths
The tragic death of severely unwell Mark Wood, who died of malnutrition just five months after he was found ‘fit for work’ by Atos and the DWP, was not just ‘wrong’ as the Government have today admitted – it was grossly negligent.  Whether this negligence was criminal must be urgently investigated.
Morally, and almost certainly legally, the DWP have a duty of care when making decisions which can potentially devastate the lives of those called  ‘vulnerable adults’ by care professionals.  The Work Capability Assessment, which led to the death of Mark Wood, has already been found unfair for people with mental health conditions in the courts.  Instead of halting the assessments based on this judgement, Iain Duncan Smith has brushed it aside – convinced he knows better than the courts, the medical establishment and the thousands of sick and disabled people themselves driven to despair by the current system.

24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: 'We were wrong' Government actually admits

Quote from: TORPC
Iain Duncan Smith Should Be Put On Trial Over The Work Capability Assessment Deaths

+1
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

IDS
.... ( Idiot, Dumb, Stupid )
Ian Duncan-Smith
should be made to live on, and act on, the decisions he makes... i.e.. he should be made to act as a disabled person, for whom he cuts the benefits, and then try and live / exist / have a "way of life" on those benefits...
he would soon realise he is one of the very priveliged few.....
SHAME ON HIM, and the ministers, and civil servants, who came up with that scheme,...... amongst others...
TORPC
Grafter

IDS
In Deep Smelly stuff Roll eyes
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

I usually keep out of political 'debate', but in this case, I'm going to break the rule, because I've had direct experience, and am aware of someone who soon will.
In my case, I had been signed off due to a breakdown, and although it's a long story I won't bore you with the details. Suffice to say I truthfully filled in the joke of an assessment form , realising even then that the result would be ' you're not ill - get back to work' - or more accurately as I was jobless, sign on again. The face to face interview was a joke - the 'medical proffesional' merely sat there reading out the same cr@p I had filled in - never once looking at me, but glued to his computer screen, merely putting there what I had put on paper, said 'Thanks' - never asking WHY I was signed off, or if there was anything I wished to say, and ushered me out. Obviously, I failed, because the form is designed so that unless you have no arms, no legs and only half a brain, you are guaranteed to be judged 'fit for  work'
Because I wasn't, and due to the stress induced by that experience, I 'lost it' and sank even further. I was in such a state that the appeal window closed, and had it not been for a couple of very good friends who saw what a state I was in and dragged me back from the edge, I can truthfully say the DWP would have another dead client.
In the case of the other person, they have been fighting debiliating pain for over 24 years, surviving on a cocktail of drugs, after a spinal injury caused by the dyes pumped into them for examination - since then of course discontinued, The individual concerned looks 'normal' but can only function for a couple of hours at a time, and will need a couple of days minimum to recover from the effects of the journey to the assessment. Again, the form and follow-up will judge her 'fit for work', but having been pre-warned by my experience, she will fight to the end.
Sorry for the long post, and the censored word, but this one of the few things that have really angered me. 
John
Steve
Pro

Quote from: jab1
the form is designed so that unless you have no arms, no legs and only half a brain, you are guaranteed to be judged 'fit for  work'

Who designed said form? Atos or DWP?
TORPC
Grafter

Either way it ws some Muppet
oops sorry for insulting Miss Piggy or Kermit Roll eyes
jab1
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: M
Quote from: jab1
the form is designed so that unless you have no arms, no legs and only half a brain, you are guaranteed to be judged 'fit for  work'

Who designed said form? Atos or DWP?

Unfortunately, I can't answer that, but having filled it in, I can say it wasn't a muppet, it was someone determined that everyone who filled it in would be deemed 'fit for work'. Angry
John
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I totally agree that the whole system was appalling and not fit for purpose. I'm really pleased that the company has pulled out. I have known several people who were very poorly treated.
But in my case I have to admit I was treated well by the ATOS assessor. I had been diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer and put onto hormone therapy. One of the many side effects of the drug is chronic fatigue - and I applied for ESA - got it and in due course filled out the form and went with some trepidation to the interview.
It was done at my GP's practise by a retired GP - and when I walked in the room he asked me about my condition - and then almost immediately said - "well I don't think we need to go through all the interview and questions; I will recommend that you are put straight onto the 'support group' for ESA.
I think this doctor must have had personal experience either as a GP or with a family member  - as he was very caring and sympathetic.
I was very lucky but I know that many many people were not.
In my opinion, although I agree with tightening up on those who can work but don't - but people with chronic and disablling diseases and injuries should be treated far far better and not made to feel guilty for claiming benefits.
Fixes: 121

Are we talking about form ESA50?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

i take the unfilled-in form along with me and tell them i need help filling it in.  works for me.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Mal08
In my opinion, although I agree with tightening up on those who can work but don't

But this is the very problem, how do YOU define someone that can work but doesn't? Clearly the government admit they've got it wrong and apparently because you can't see someones internal health problems with your own eyes, many people think there is nothing wrong with the sick. With the sentence you wrote above, you sound like one of them!
Yes there are slackers claiming. I've known a few in my time and one of them did himself no favours and really did cripple himself. He's now in a wheelchair for his indestructible attitude. The large majority of claimants however are not cheaters, slackers or theives, they are ill. The total percent of estimated fraud is a fraction of the benefits bill. Over 2/3 of the benefits bill is paid out in pensions, with the other benefits being a lot less (can't remember the figures but i saw some a while back). The amount of fraud going on for DLA, Incap, JSA / ESA is a fraction of the real problem.
The real problem is that this country has too many old people and many of them are well off yet still insist they need a free bus pass, TV licence, winter fuel allowance etc. Yes we need to keep on top of benefits fraud or the floodgates will open but at the same time it isn't the only cause of the current economic mess.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jab1
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Mav
Are we talking about form ESA50?

Probably, although in my case it was a while back, and I can't remember the number.
John
WTF
Grafter

The hypocrisy of the Daily Fail is astounding: they spend 364 days of the year demanding 'tough action' against 'scroungers' then, when faced with the inevitable consequence of the tough action, they try to lay the blame on the agencies - for doing exactly what that the Daily Fail has been demanding.
Hang on - the Daily Fail claiming to care about an under priviliged person?
It's an April Fool!
Darn - they got me good!
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I wonder if the Mail spends as much time demanding that rich tax evaders should be stopped as well ?
I havent seen the figures - but I wouldn't be surprised if tax evasion cost much much more than benefit cheating.