nadger
Rising Star

We've seen it happen in TV progs but

Man falls 53 storeys and lands on car
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35839635
10 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: We've seen it happen in TV progs but

Officials from the construction company said the man was not supposed to be above the third floor and had removed his hardhat.

I don't think his hard hat would have saved him.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Or even if he was "only" on the third floor.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Whether he shouldn't have been on that floor or not, if the safety barriers were 8' high as described in the report, its a little difficult to see how he simply "fell" from the 53rd floor without looking for somewhere suitable, not protected, to do so.
The incident report should make interesting reading.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

In my youth I was ice climbing in the Cairngorm and I saw a bloke fall about 800 ft. Luckily for him he was in an ice gully, so it was a bit like a vertical ice slide with a gentle finish. He bounced off a couple of outcrops and did some involuntary somersaults on the way down, but at the end of it was able to stand up and wave to his mates. We saw him later in the evening in the hotel bar. His arm was in plaster and he was wearing different trousers.
You can kill yourself falling just one storey if you are unlucky, other times great heights may not kill you.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
RobPN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: AlaricAdair
You can kill yourself falling just one storey if you are unlucky, other times great heights may not kill you.

It's not the fall that kills you ... it's generally the abrupt stop at the bottom.  Wink
Fixes: 47

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IbStIb9XXw
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

you can kill yourself falling from 5 inches... just depends if u hit your head
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Quote from: nadger
Man falls 53 storeys and lands on car

I guess that he was just six stories too high - Man falls 47 Stories and lives to tell about it.   Undecided

I like seeing peoples reactions when watching this - Man jumps out of plane with no parachute, lands on trampoline    Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Nibiru

I like seeing peoples reactions when watching this - Man jumps out of plane with no parachute, lands on trampoline    Cheesy

Easy to fake.......  man enters plane.... looks apprehensive..... puts on helmet.& vid cam..... uses "telemetry" to send info to ground station... ( displayed on laptop )... jumps from plane...  parachute opens... and "object" falls to ground... ( with another , or even same camera, and telemetry.... we don`t see the switch in the video of course... )... object hurtles to ground... ground cam follows it... leaving parachute sliding out of shot.... CUT....  Drone takes over the cam and telemetry... flies through a hole in the factory roof ... CUT... signal lost... blank screens....ACTION.. show ground crew, in office cheering... CUT.. Show man falling through roof, and landing on trampoline... to rapturous applause from (paid for) stooges aka crowd.... 

OK... so I may have got some of the scenes mixed up... but you can see how editing can fool the brain.... it always does in tv and films... so why not this ? 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I didn't suggest for a minute that it was real  (and hence the trailing  Cheesy),  
but that watching peoples faces was interesting - while they are thinking is that even possible or fake !
Roll eyes
Do you think this was real ? - 80 year old Lady Slips Out of Parachute When Skydiving - or was it a stunt woman body double ?