Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We're Drawing in the Air

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

We're Drawing in the Air

3D printing PEN 'draws' plastic objects in thin air
By melting plant-based plastic it can create objects in thin air, allowing you to make free standing objects at the touch of a button

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2616656/Write-eyes-Amazing-3D-printing-PEN-draws-plas...
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: We're Drawing in the Air

Yes I saw that earlier today and thought it was utterly amazing. This 3D printing stuff has so much potential. I saw yesterday that some company in china is now able to 3D print an entire house in a day for something like £3.5k  Shocked
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

yeah all they need to figure out now is how to print in different mediums like metals and build a printer big enough to print an entire working house that real people can live in ..... who knows if the stuff is good enough on every print we might start to see mobile fabricators that can work anywhere, certainly it would make building the space station and lot easier.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
yeah all they need to figure out now is how to print in different mediums like metals

Er.. hate to break it to you but they're already 3D printing aircraft parts out of metal here in the UK. I posted about this a while back.
and build a printer big enough to print an entire working house that real people can live in.

Didn't read my previous reply did you Wink
TORPC
Grafter

Whole new meaning of
Drawing the Curtains
Or
Back to the Drawing  board
Or
Back to the Drawing room
Grin  Grin Grin Grin
Not to mention Aled Jones Cheesy
nanotm
Pro

there printing parts and then milling them into the finish required, my comment is about the ability to print a useable part,
as to the plastic house, there's no metallurgical parts in it its pure biodegradable plastic and as such only fit for use as a very basic temporary shelter.......longer lasting than a tent and easier to transport than some of the other options available as temporary shelters but overall not much good for long term structures
it will be another 5 >10 years before the ability to replace old fashioned fabrication methods are reached at which point they will possibly become a viable option but right now there still not good enough (and it takes 60 days to print a structural metal part 9meters in length and another day of milling before its ready for use....)
Community Veteran

as to the plastic house, there's no metallurgical parts in it its pure biodegradable plastic and as such only fit for use as a very basic temporary shelter.

Where did I say anything about plastic 3d printed houses?
3D printing is a technique. You can stuff any material out through a nozzle as long as you can set it quickly. I think you need to read this article:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2615076/Giant-3D-printer-creates-10-sized-houses-DAY-...
Note the picture that shows 3D printed cement:
Community Veteran

there printing parts and then milling them into the finish required

Nothing about that is mentioned in the article I posted in this topic:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?;topic=122083.0
TORPC
Grafter

I wonder how many chefs will adopt the idea for wedding cakes Wink
Community Veteran

You know what thats a brilliant idea! I'm sure you could get a nozzle that bakes cake mixture as it's printed and then you'd just need another nozzle / feed of icing sugar to be done there too.
Incredible potential this 3D tech.
TORPC
Grafter

save a mess it will Grin
Community Veteran

Good value printing a house but.....
A nice plot of land to put it on will still cost £100,000.
nanotm
Pro

just because the article you linked to doesn't mention the fact the stuff isn't good enough to use straight out of the printer doesn't make a jot of difference,
the oversized sheds in the hail article don't qualify as useable, they don't have the ability to utilise multiple materials to create a proper building (one that comes complete with electric and plumbing) and indeed further investigation points out that the structural integrity is shot to bits once you compromise the walls by fitting such things, a great concept and certainly a really heavy duty shed perfect for many applications but so far no use for housing people.

my comment about plastic houses was based on the premise that as you didn't provide a link you were also referring to the breakthrough in emergency relief technology, a building that was both sturdy and had all the trunking required for the electrics to be clipped in and could be printed  & constructed within 24 hours ready to house up to 20 people (complete with plastic furniture and woven hammock style beds) meaning a group like the red cross could tip up and print out a building a day to replace tents with more weather resistant shelters, with the added bonus that they could chuck it all in the ground when it was no longer required and it would decompose within 10 years .....
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: TORPC
I wonder how many chefs will adopt the idea for wedding cakes Wink
Quote from: 7up
You know what thats a brilliant idea! I'm sure you could get a nozzle that bakes cake mixture as it's printed and then you'd just need another nozzle / feed of icing sugar to be done there too.
Incredible potential this 3D tech.

I knew I had seen, food ====> printer =====> food, somewhere Tongue
[quote=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25648101]Food-creating 3D printers which can create chocolate or sugar confectionery have been unveiled in Las Vegas.
There is an entire zone for 3D printing at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, as Rory Cellan-Jones reports.

So shouldn't be long before the draw  Cheesy Grin