Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We know where EU are.....

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

We know where EU are.....

EU to bug every car in UK with tracker chips

Every new car sold in Britain will have to have a ‘black box’ device fitted to track drivers’ movements from next year, under plans being imposed by the European Union. 
According to the Daily Mail Online anyway !!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2625244/EU-bug-car-UK-tracker-chips-Ministers-admit-powerles...
27 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: We know where EU are.....

well it was reported last year that  an EU directive was being drawn up that would do this but that it would only apply to new cars, at the same time there was another EU directive that was being drawn up meaning only cars less than 5 years old would be permitted to drive on EU roads which would make all those classic vehicles pointless not to mention put millions of people out of being able to drive about in there motor, both were withdrawn after a legal challenge so this is either a rehashing of an out of date story or it means they have reworked the directive(s) and are implementing them anyway....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 123

If we were forced to have these installed I am quite certain I would stop driving. I don't want my every move tracked, by anyone.
Same as I would fight hard and long not to have me or any of my children chipped at anytime.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Mav
...  I don't want my every move tracked, by anyone. ...

Do you carry a Smart Phone?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.

Yes, I do. And I understand your point.
To clarify I know that my position may be tracked via a smartphone but, knowing that, I choose to use it. I don't always have it on, though.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Devonian
Grafter

This was mentioned a while back on Top Gear.
I for 1 will remove any tracker added to my vehicle and bin it.
The EU morons have no right to track me or force their grubby ways on me.
Mind you, the UK Government have beaten the EU to it, with ANPR cameras on every urban road in the country by August tracking our movements and even able to predict a journey we haven't even made yet.
All in the name of Vehicle Excise Duty enforcement.
PowerLee
Rising Star

So we are basically getting a Europe wide watered down version of GM's On Star system that the US has had for aver 15 year's?
Where is the problem in that?
If your not doing anything wrong why worry?

Quote from: PowerLee
If your not doing anything wrong why worry?
Oh, that old adage along with "if you've nothing to hide, blah, blah".
I'm not doing anything wrong when in the bedroom but I don't want anyone to necessarily know I'm there or what I'm doing so I close the curtains for privacy. And that is the watch-word...privacy.

PowerLee
Rising Star

So you could be unconscious & badly injured in a smashed up car hidden from the road out in the countryside somewhere in the pitch black, wouldn't you want the technology to be able to get you much needed medical help then?
Many US car's have had a much more advanced system then this for many year's, the US car buyer's don't kick up a fuss about it, unlike the Daily Wail scaremongering.
dick:quote
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

So you could be unconscious & badly injured in a smashed up car hidden from the road out in the countryside somewhere in the pitch black, wouldn't you want the technology to be able to get you much needed medical help then?

WOW... I want one of those...it will "phone home" automatically, and tell the rescue squad, and the ambulance service just where I am immediately after crashing the car....  Roll eyes

We managed for enough years without the state or businesses watching our every move.
Life comes with risks and I never worried about it before the technology was available and I'm not concerned about it now.
Those that want/like/enjoy being watched at every corner and having their every move followed can take it. Me, I don't want it and would like the choice not to have it.

Devonian
Grafter

All of this spying by unelected foreigners... wonderful.
PowerLee
Rising Star

Quote from: shutter

WOW... I want one of those...it will "phone home" automatically, and tell the rescue squad, and the ambulance service just where I am immediately after crashing the car....  Roll eyes

I take it not many people know how these systems actually work or bothered to find out  Roll eyes
Ford's basic system: http://www.euroncap.com/rewards/ford_sync_emergency_assistance.aspx
BMW E Call: http://www.euroncap.com/rewards/bmw_assist_advanced_ecall.aspx
Peugeot / Citroen E Call: http://www.euroncap.com/rewards/peugeot_connect_sos.aspx
Community Veteran

if the car has been involved in a serious accident, using the driver’s mobile phone when connected by Bluetooth to the SYNC system. When the vehicle has been in an accident which is severe enough to trigger deployment of the airbags

Oops there go the airbags again, damn potholes. Luckily I won't be wasting any of the emergency services time as they are all fully occupied responding to thousands of airbag deployments.
As if the abulances don't get enough work.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: PowerLee

When I'm working in the countryside, I have to ring the Lone Worker hotline at my company the problem is the mobile phone coverage is very hit and miss so can never do it. Do you think the suggested system is going to work any better in these areas?