cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We have a new pest...

Fixes: 125

We have a new pest...

For a few weeks now SWMBO has been complaining of someone/thing entering out garden and decimating the plants and flowers.
The culprit, she found out, was a rabbit. As there is open space space behind us I assume it is wild - but it is making SWMBO livid!
She's read that there is some sort of repellent that is abhorrent to rabbits but I am wondering if anyone here has any suggestions as to how to rid our garden of it/them?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

14 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: We have a new pest...

I hope that it is more successful than the repellents that I have tried to repel cats!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Chicken wire on the fence is the easiest and most friendly way.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I planted a new lawn for myself. Once the lawn started growing guess what turned up and started munching on it? Yes a WABBIT! I gave It a shoo early one morning and never saw It again. It was a baby one.
Community Veteran

My brother was just a little bit later than usual in shooing his chickens in from his neighbours garden, where they're allowed to roam.
But still in time to see the bloody carcass of one of his chickens being carried off into the bushes by a badger.

hadden
Grafter

I agree that wire mesh is the most effective. The recommended method is to put it on the outside of your existing fence with 20cms flat on the ground and the rest vertical. Cover the horizontal part with stones and bits of turf, and the seal will become permanent. Don't worry about the height of the vertical part as the rabbits will try to dig under close to the vertical part and won't try to jump over the top.
Alternatively, if you can locate the entry point, get a humane rabbit cage/trap. Positioned correctly, you may not need to even bait it. When caught, you can then find the rabbit a new home.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Steve_M
! I gave It a shoo early one morning and never saw It again. It was a baby one.

Do you go in for "welly wanging" at village fetes, then ? ? ?  Cheesy
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@shutter Yes, think this year I will try a left welly with the one handed technique.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Twy wabbit wecipes posted awound the hedge
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 125

SWMBO says I had rabbit in Ukraine she just didn't tell me at the time. If that's the case then it tasted remarkably like chicken!
The chicken wire may not be feasable as neither the wall on one side or the fence on the other appear to be our responsibility. They are high, though at around 6'. There i a hole at the end of the garden through the shed which can be blocked.
Quite like the idea of wellie throwing - need to be reasonably accurate, though Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

There`s nowt to stop you putting chicken wire on your side of the "fence" and securing it to said "fence".... would suggest burying the bottom 12 inches, if you think the rabbit is likely to burrow under..
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I use dried peas fired from a fish bait catapult, to dissuade Cats and Elephants.
It works for the Elephants, and to a lesser extent the Cats.
I've never hit either yet, but the sound of the dried peas hitting the wooden shed is enough to scare them.
And the dried peas are environmentally friendly !
The Birds love the peas, which encourages the Cats..........
And so it goes on !
Community Veteran

Quote from: PlusComUK
I use dried peas

I use frozen peas and a metre long pea shooter to discourage pigeons from perching on my roof.
Works very well.
itsme
Grafter

Air rife, casserole pot or pie dish are my recommendations.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
SWMBO says I had rabbit in Ukraine she just didn't tell me at the time. If that's the case then it tasted remarkably like chicken!

You never had Game pie in a rural English pub? High probability it would have had rabbit in it.