cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We got £84million for it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

We got £84million for it.

WE paid for this. Not the ministers with their own pockets (while claiming expenses) WE paid for it.

So WE paid for this yet WE (the majority) don't even get to set foot on it unless invited for some privileged reason and yet THEY decide to sell off yet ANOTHER piece of ICONIC BRITISH ENGINEERING to a foreign country because THEY no longer have a use for it.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/brazil-purchase-hms-ocean-84-million/?utm_source=FB&utm_medium=U...

We are short of landspace and facilities EVERYWHERE. Hospitals don't have enough A&E beds. How many of those could fit into a bloomin great aircraft hanger on HMS Ocean? How many emergency operating theatres could fit in there? What about homeless people? Blimey what about a naval education centre or training facility. Even open the thing up to tourists on the Thames and keep the cash flow coming in.

Nope, none of that is important. A big floating vessel that could be used for other purposes to make a difference HERE AT HOME is of absolutely no use to us. This is a NATIONAL DISGRACE.

Whatever happened to mothballing? Even the illustrious class got that treatment for a while until the MOD decided that the public had no right to keep what they paid for.

Forgive me for the rant. I am livid.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 18

Re: We got £84million for it.

An interesting story... 

Perhaps this story from the same source as yours will enlighten you.....

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/hms-queen-elizabeth-urgently-sail-arctic-circle-support-multinationa...

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 45

Should have went to Specsavers.
I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Community Veteran

Well Janes are carrying the story too...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Hmm, a conservative government with a woman PM selling off the nation's silverware for bargain prices, imagine that..................... Crazy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Good old MOD, repeating history as with the Harriers. Selling off facilities when there's no available replacement.  I think the dead hand of the HM Treasury is not far from this debacle. Balance those spreadsheets.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

@7up Well, it looks like your story must be true.... it`s reported in the Daily Mail....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5228991/Britain-sells-Royal-Navys-flagship-HMS-Ocean-Brazil....

However,.... this from the DM ...

"

The UK Defence Journal reported that a source from within the Brazilian defence community, Roberto Lopes, confirmed a deal had finally been struck.

However a Minister of Defence spokesperson told the MailOnline: 'Discussions with Brazil over the long-planned sale of HMS Ocean are at an advanced stage, but no final decisions have been made.

"

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

As usual the UK forces are being watered down Angry

But we ok ,,, as Trumpton has a BIG red button Cheesy

trump button.JPG

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

What a bloody embarassment. INDIA thinks more of preserving OUR naval engineering icons than our own government - sold in 1986 to India (being the flagship it naturally had to go) HMS Hermes is now being converted:to something USEFUL:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3467635/Spearhead-Falklands-fleet-hotel-Bay-Bengal-HMS-Herme...

This is taking the mickey.

It was 23 years old THEN so it's NEARLY 60 YEARS NOW so how the hell is HMS Ocean no longer fit for any form of service after such a short amount of time? 60 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the hell is wrong with this country?

@shutter thanks for the vote of confidence.

EDIT: According to the daily express the ship was built in 1953 making it 64 years not 58 (the DM says it was 23 years in 1982). Link: https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/860997/HMS-Hermes-Falklands-War-flagship-mission-launched-save

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@7up the DM photo,s are a bit old they show Sea Vixens on the deck not harriers Cheesy

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Well in 1953 the harrier the harrier didn't exist...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I do wonder why we sometimes seem to virtually give some things away.

It must be like Christmas to these countries on the receiving end of our cast-offs.

And I expect given the choice they prefer an old solid hull that you can't just shoot rifle holes through.

Community Veteran

Why do we not have a manufacturing industry, as we did, many yearss ago?   Because we priced ourselves out of the world markets, by our increasing labour costs...

Consider then, how much it would cost to "refurbish" some of thes "old ships".. and replace the outdated machinery, and electronics, using our exising, expensive labour force.

Consider then, how much it would cost Brazil or India, to do the same thing, to a "relatively" new ship.compared to the cost of them having to, either build it, or buy it "brand new" including all the equipment.  I bloth countries, the "labour market" is exactly that... labour..  compared to a few guys using expensive machinery... the "labour force" actually get down and hit the metal with hammers etc..and many of them at a much cheaper rate of pay than we could ever hope to go back to...

True, we will be removing a certain amount of tech equipment, such as the guns and missile control systems, and the radar and communications equipment... but... in Brazil, and India, the cost of installing them as "up to date" equipment, from their own much cheaper labour force and manufacturing industry, makes buying our "old ships" an economic prospect..

( except if you bought the F.S. Foch from the French, of course ! ! ! )..

When HMS Centaur was decomissioned, I did actually return to it, about 6 weeks later, and was disgusted at the state of the internals, compared to how it was when I was living on board for 2 years.. some parts of "the island" were so rusty that they were sectioned of with notices saying it was an unsafe area... so don`t go by the external appearance when you see these "old ships" being towed away for scrap, or for sale... 

Community Veteran

It does amaze me that they'll milk the taxpayer for millions and then let things deteriorate so quickly through lack of maintenance. Pathetic really isn't it. They can maintain a boat hull that is directly exposed to the water but internal metal walls? Pathetic.

As for teh labour force yes we all know what you're saying but surely even gutting out a "new old" ship would and refurbishing it would be cheaper than building another one entirely from scratch. You have the hull, you have the frame, you have the main floors and pipework, propellers (them alone ain't cheap) etc. It's like saying it's better to buy a new car than repair an existing one. In most cases while a 10 year old car may well have faults its still going to be cheaper to repair (assuming you have the funds of course) than it is to buy another brand new car for £10k.

I appreciate it isn't going to be cheap to refurb a carrier but thats why we should be making use of it at home instead of flogging it off elsewhere. As I've said earlier hospitals all over the country are out of space in their A&E depts and london is no exception. Then we have a floating vessel that could be moored up on the Thames and loaned to the NHS for medical use such as an overflow A&E dept. We already have mobile MRI scanners that are built on lorry trailers so why on earth do we not have the sense within government to see a resource when we have one spare and put it to use?

How many homeless are out there in London alone who need shelter?

This is an outrage. It's absolutely disgusting that our leaders yet again are short changing the public of its services.

Community Veteran

This article in  " The Register".... confirms my statements about refurbishing the machinery, and also some figures regarding costs involved in keeping Ocean up to date..  refit every 3 years,... etc.