cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We didn't do very well did we... (BTTF related)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We didn't do very well did we... (BTTF related)

So... 21/10/2015....  we're supposed to (according to Back To The Future) have flying cars, hoverboards, 3d holograms, hovering dog walkers (though drones are almost capable) etc.
We've really not achieved much have we! To think in the 80s when the film was made they probably thought they were being realistic too!
And one other thing that has never made sense in the film... the doc from 1985... in part 3 in 1885 asks Marty who dressed him like that. Surely if he did so in 1955 he would have remembered doing so in 1985 before going back to 1955 and being sent back to 1885.... afterall... it's his own past so he should remember that right?
I never did understand how he'd need to ask Marty that....
Oh and keith lemon... his tribute... great... they went to a lot of effort to recreate the detail... but it really wasn't quite as funny as i thought it would be...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: We didn't do very well did we... (BTTF related)

The news drone bit was/is right though!
Fixes: 105

You expected something involving Keith lemon to be funny? Wink Roll eyes
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

+1  Roll eyes
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

I have no idea why that item took up so much airtime - I guess it was a slow news day.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: 7up
And one other thing that has never made sense in the film... the doc from 1985... in part 3 in 1885 asks Marty who dressed him like that. Surely if he did so in 1955 he would have remembered doing so in 1985 before going back to 1955 and being sent back to 1885.... afterall... it's his own past so he should remember that right?

Different timelines, 1885 Doc was from timeline B (as Timeline A was where he died), and 1955 Doc in Part 3 was Timeline C so 1885 doc wouldn't remember that part of life as from his perspective he sent Marty back to the future and never saw him again 'til the late 70's...
Confused? I sure am, temporal mechanics is hard to get one's head around.... Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

how old BIff managed to get back to the version of 2015 that he had came from since he changed the past is a bit of an error though IMO.
surely if we have returned back to the "bad" 2015 from 1955 rather than the "good" 2015.
also, in 2015, the scene in the 80's cafe with, old Biff seems to have reverted back to the old cocky self rather than the changed dorky Biff that we saw at the end of Part 1.
yes, he's still cleaning cars, but his persona seems to be like original Biff rather than new Biff.
Community Veteran

Old Biff managed to return to his timeline as the ripple effect hadn't taken place, which is why he faded out (there's speculation that in his altered timeline, he was shot in the gut, hence the way he collapsed), and he probably turned back into a cocky old self because of age and bitterness at having been a lowly car valeting lackey all his life through the one event of being lamed one by George McFly, hence why he went back with Gray's Sports Almanac to 1955... Smiley
Like I say, temporal mechanics is a hard thing to get one's head round... Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: twocvbloke

Like I say, temporal mechanics is a hard thing to get one's head round... Cheesy

I can let you have the number of my Mobile Mechanic..... he has a B.Sc. in engineering.... and seems to be able to fix most things on my car....  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

which is why he faded out (there's speculation that in his altered timeline, he was shot in the gut, hence the way he collapsed)

you don't seem him fade out in the movie, it's a cut scene Wink
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up

Different timelines, 1885 Doc was from timeline B (as Timeline A was where he died), and 1955 Doc in Part 3 was Timeline C so 1885 doc wouldn't remember that part of life as from his perspective he sent Marty back to the future and never saw him again 'til the late 70's...
Confused? I sure am, temporal mechanics is hard to get one's head around.... Shocked

They may be different timelines in 1985 but in 1955 they were the same timeline. Doc dressed marty in circus gear... and then proceeded to live to 1985. Shot or saved it shouldn't matter, in 1955 he still dressed Marty in those clothes!
So... he dies in 1985... but is then saved. Then it's off to 1955 to grab the almanac and then he is transported to 1885. He should still have a memory of supplying those clothes to Marty.
Make sense?
nanotm
Pro

when the film was made they belived those things would be possible because of how computers were being used for atc (flying cars) but largely thanks to films like terminator regulators deemed research into making thinking computers bad and as such various worldwide regulations were introduced to prevent those things from becoming reality (machines exterminating humans) so no real effort was given to making flying cars controlled by computers into a reality, however there have been several flying cars made over the last 20 years, none have gone into major production though due to legal hurdles and lack of buyers.
the hover board has been designed and built but it works along the same principles as the maglev trains and is limited to use on specially made tracks (making it largely pointless) so in those terms you could claim they got it partially right but some of the stuff was just chucked in there as pure cheese anyway like the nike self lacing boots, nike actually made a pair but the batteries only lasted long enough to tie them up twice and you had to manually untie them so Velcro made more sense /
I wouldn't mind seeing the flying cars thing come to reality but its highly unlikely given the lack of R&D going into doing it properly and certainly here in the UK we just don't have enough high rise's to make it practical to implement /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

The real problem nanotm is that we don't have anything invented that is anywhere near antigravity.
And I've never heard of a law anywhere against AI - and that would be why stephen hawking recently issued a warning against it (and being a really smart bloke, you'd expect him to know of any anti AI laws in existence).
Flying cars without the flying highway lamp posts just make no sense...
Community Veteran

Quote from: chenks76
you don't seem him fade out in the movie, it's a cut scene Wink

Still a part of the story though, even if it was left out erroneously... Tongue