cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We bought a new tv.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

We bought a new tv.

We bought a new tv, bigger and supposedly better. Led backlit,LCD. So I decided to shuffle the tv's around the house and throw the oldest (freecycle).  Before donating it I needed to test it.
The oldest tv turned out to be a 28" Bush, crt.
I realised when testing it that I actually prefer the picture on that to the all the other tv's. It wasn't so 'hard'  to watch.
And I don't know why. Shocked
It's going in the lift as a spare, in case the spare, spare, spare, spare one breaks. Wink
11 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: We bought a new tv.

Quote from: doris
It's going in the lift as a spare, in case the spare, spare, spare, spare one breaks. Wink

How many floors does your house have?  Wink
Community Veteran

Kitchen floor, living room floor, hall floor, two bedroom floors.... Wink
Teach me to proof read before posting.  Roll eyes
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

TVs rarely come pre-set for the best picture.
In the vast majority of cases when you get a new TV out of its box, the default picture position is to deliver pictures that are ridiculously overblown, with cartoonish colours, excessive brightness, messy backlighting, and sharpness levels set so high that all you see is noise, not detail.
There was a time when we could at least comprehend this, on the grounds that TVs want to look bold and colourful on bright shop floors.

Above is from an article on how to set up a TV at home.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Agree with this, a modern flat screen TV will be delivered to you set in a mode which produces a horrible picture.
For each HDMI input, and the TV itself, at least turn offf anything which is called 'Motion Processing' and set anything called 'MPEG/Noise Reduction' to minimum but not Off.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I realised when testing it that I actually prefer the picture on that to the all the other tv's.

Good luck freecycling that (or the idea of it) lol. Bush make rotten stuff.. it never lives long and frankly the working usefulness of most of their stuff is questionable too.
As for the picture quality, some of the old CRTs did have superior image quality over the modern LCD / plasma panels that process everything digitally. Our panasonic vierra isn't great and when someones face moves, the eyes take a second to follow the rest of the face. It's apparently such a well known problem that there is a technical term according to the now defunct Comet: Goggle eyes.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
JayG
Aspiring Pro

Many consumer electronic items have become loaded with extra 'features' in the past few years - my new Samsung TV seemingly has dozens of ways of tweaking the picture, most of which don't seem to make much difference and are therefore an unwelcome distraction as far as I'm concerned.
My atomic clock synchronised, DAB, menu-driven alarm clock/radio is so complicated that it requires a 'wizard' to change the alarm settings, and in my case the instruction leaflet to remind me how to access the wizard!  Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's amazing how technology has evolved, then devolved again, in ye olde days of valves and tar-coated capacitors, TVs needed a lot of adjustments to make the picture as good as it could be, then transistors came along that made things better, though colour TVs needed a lot of elaborate adjustments to get the picture set up just right, then electronics advanced even more to only need the user-operable colour, contrast and brightness, then TVs advanced some more and need more adjustments than the old valve sets......... Shocked
Crazy..........
Community Veteran

Quote from: godsell4
Agree with this, a modern flat screen TV will be delivered to you set in a mode which produces a horrible picture.
For each HDMI input, and the TV itself, at least turn offf anything which is called 'Motion Processing' and set anything called 'MPEG/Noise Reduction' to minimum but not Off.

Have to agree with you. We bought a Panasonic. Ratings were a mixed bag, with lots of complaints about sound and/or picture quality. The picture was garish to stay with, but a few tweaks of the settings and its great. The same with the sound. Also a feature that allows you to advance/retard the sound to keep sync.
Just seems the crt is easier on the eyes. Maybe the frequency of the light emitted maybe? Perhaps someone knows?
JayG
Aspiring Pro

I suspect that many of these 'options' are there because the designers can put them there, rather than asking themselves whether they are necessary and add to the functionality and enjoyment of the product.
I can't imagine that advertising something like 'unbelievable number of picture adjustment options' would be considered a USP to many people other than true geeks!
It suppose it doesn't really matter as long as the TV is optimised to work well for most people using its default settings, which doesn't seem to be the case for the OP, and as far as my alarm clock/radio is concerned, shouldn't setting the alarm be the one thing that's easy to do even when half asleep?  Roll eyes  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We bought a new tv, bigger and supposedly better. Led backlit,LCD. So I decided to shuffle the tv's around the house and throw the oldest (freecycle).  Before donating it I needed to test it.
I realised when testing it that I actually prefer the picture on that to the all the other tv's. It wasn't so 'hard'  to watch.
And I don't know why. Shocked
You will certainly save on you electricity bill by swapping a crt for a led tv, the only downside is that your room will be colder.
Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
You will certainly save on you electricity bill by swapping a crt for a led tv

I'm not convinced of that. My old 21" TV plus digi box have a combined power consumption of just over 60 watts.