cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are on our way !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We are on our way !

Article 50 will be triggered at the end of March 2017.

Spot on.Smiley

14 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: We are on our way !

I'll second that if I may Mr Chairman! Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

For better or worse, I still think it's the better thing for the country.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I hope Mrs. May honours her statement that Brexit is Brexit because that is what the majority voted for, but I'm not that triumphalist, we should consider the nearly 50% who voted to stay and show willingness to separate on good terms with the rest of the EU.
I like the idea of repealing the EU act first thing and transferring the body of law into British law, then Parliament is supreme and we can make adjustments from there and according to our priorities
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

The results of any surveys need to be treated with caution but one recent survey claimed that 67% of better educated people with a income of £ 60,000 or more voted to remain.

As the level of education and income decreased the number of those wanting to remain also decreased, thus leaving a majority who wanted to leave.

This makes sense to me, it's also important to point out that, ' better educated' is not the same thing as more intellegent.

Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

Take out the better educated bit (I hold a good degree and voted out) and leave the high earning part and what do you have? You have a section of society that had more to lose by leaving, and reminiscent of those of the Right that sided with the pan europeans of the 1940s.

They say history teaching us nothing  but it taught us that.   

Let's make our own bed and not have someone else do it for us. Brexiteers were cheesed off with being tucked up the wrong way. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

I think "better educated" is a complete red herring! The young demographic is better educated in theory because more of them go to university now where before more people were trained on the job. What they know about real life could be questioned based on the reactions to the yes vote!
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Another thought the population doesn't change its attributes in basic intelligence and social characteristics in just a couple of generations so we shouldn't be at odds between young and old. But something is exaggerating the differences!
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

I expect the "better educated" are thinking of the future and important questions that Brexit raises.

Like will an extension to my duck house cost more?

And will cheap servants be harder to find?

Or how will I fill my slum housing?

Will my car wash franchises have to pay the minimum wage?

Community Veteran

Before anyone can trigger Article 50 the High Court and Supreme Court will have to decide whether it will be illegal to do so without a parliamentary vote. There are four pieces of litigation in the pipeline, one of which is from the NI Assembly, which will be heard between October and December. If these Courts decide that a parliamentary vote is required first then the triggering of Article 50 will be the subject of a debate (in both houses) followed by a vote. The percentage of MPs who voted to remain was 79, and the House of Lords has said that if a Bill is intended (which it is) there could be significant delays caused by objections. The majority of members of the HoL is pro remain.

Community Veteran

@nozzer

It does not bare thinking about as to what would happen if the decision gets blocked by one of the things you mention and there is no chance of it getting further.

Community Veteran

Ah, but it was better educated and on £ 60,000 or more a year. I guess not many young people attending university have a income of that level.

Perhaps it would have been more accurate if the statement had been ,  Older people who were better educated and on £60.000 a year or more.....

I suspect many of the younger generation failed to vote simply because they had more important/interesting things to do than bother listening to some older boring politician on either side of the debate making claims that could not be verified.

It's ironic that the decision is going to effect the younger generation far more than older folk who took more interest in it.

Community Veteran

When I see "better educated" I assume it doesn't mean better educated but instead refers to Oxford / Cambridge political elite.

All of those who think they know better than the "man in the street".

Minivanman
Hero

Indeed 

Community Veteran

And the House of Lords will have to be careful, once the boundry changes take place and the number of MP's are reduced it would follow the House of Lords will also be reduced in numbers with the full support of the majority of the population.

Those Lords who oppose the government and people of this country are likely to be high on the list of those likely to go.