cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water oop norf

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Water oop norf

We now have enough water down south and we've sent the surplus clouds in your direction. No thanks are necessary.
For some reason I've always lived on a hill avoiding the problems of flooding. Does the Panel think developers building on a flood plain should be forced to provide a long term insurance policy to cover the costs to society of the resultant flood damage?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Water oop norf

Like you I live near the top of a 600ft hill (above sea level) so can only sympathise with these poor people who have been flooded some for the second or third time recently.
But yes, the "possibly greedy" developers should be made to insure their own mistakes.
One tragic event reported over the weekend about the young women killed by a tree while sleeping in a tent under the tree.
Would I be alone in wondering why she was sleeping in a tent in view of the weather warnings that were being aired almost every 15 minutes in some threatened areas including where this event happened.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

It was sad that she died when the tree collapsed but I had the same thought - why was she there?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The right type of tent can withstand most weather conditions, but pitching a tent under a tree is a real no-no. Aside from the danger of falling branches/boughs it always "rains twice under trees."
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

It was reported that she was 'sleeping rough' possibly homeless, quite likely in current economic circumstances.
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

It is understood that the young woman who died and the two injured men who with her were homeless people.
The city of Exeter has the fifth highest number of rough sleepers in the UK (www.emmaus.org.uk).
With the added issuesof poverty, health, alcohol and drug abuse that are likely to afflict rough sleeepers it is unlikely that they would have the means to access  weather reports.

Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
For some reason I've always lived on a hill avoiding the problems of flooding. Does the Panel think developers building on a flood plain should be forced to provide a long term insurance policy to cover the costs to society of the resultant flood damage?

When the planners allow such a development perhaps they should insist upon a ring-fenced bond to compensate the house owners for future floods. Might make the beggars think twice about developing in known flood zones?
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

My sympathy to those who have been "flooded" again.... however, my "wrath" would be directed to the local planning officials, that allow developments in known flood plain areas.  they should be held responsible, and pay compensations out of their own pocket.... not the council coffer... perhaps they would be more "responsible" in their approach to the job of "planning"...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It might be useful to beg borrow or buy a walking GPS to check out your height above sea level before purchasing a house, I think there are a few web sites which show areas that are more likely to flood.
But here is the best bit............ your water bills are going to increase well above the inflation rate over the next few years and there will be compulsory water meters in some areas due to the shortage of water. !! Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It might be useful to beg borrow or buy a walking GPS to check out your height above sea level before purchasing a house,

Being "above" sea level, is no guarantee you will not be affected by flooding....
However, noticing you are close/near to a river, might give you some thoughts on asking your solicitor to check out the risk.... !  Roll eyes
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

I note that so far no one wants to comment on my post (Reply #5) re the young, homeless woman who died in Exeter - is it too uncomfortable an issue?
Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Yes it is an uncomfortable issue.
In this day and age no one should be sleeping out unless they choose to do so but in this womans case I understand she was homeless.
It's an absolute scandal the amount of money the government wastes on a whole range of things plus the number of big firms that pay minimum tax on billions of pounds of profit.
I Suspect the average person would have some good ideas on how these problems could be tackled but unfortunately History shows that governments have their own self interest at heart rather than the plight of the poor.
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Thanks for your response, Gleneagles.
jmd
Grafter

Quote from: cyrilclark1
re the young, homeless woman who died in Exeter - is it too uncomfortable an issue?
Sad

I think her death has highlighted that the poor and homeless are there but no one really wants to admit they are unfortunately!
I know that there are hostels available for generally there is never enough places for those in need.
There are also the "unseen" homeless - those people[teenagers?] who are thrown out of their home and end up sleeping with a different friend each night.
I hope and pray that the authorities in Exeter and other cities realise why thei woman died and do something about making better provision but it may be a false hope!