cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water meter

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Water meter

It's not often you want something that you cannot get but are better off for not getting it.
Requested to have a water meter fitted under the sink but no chance due to lack of room, next option was outside on the drive but they were not prepared to return the drive (concrete) to it's original state if they fitted it there.
As we asked for a meter and they could not fit one they have based any future bills on the reatable value of the house which has resulted in a considerable saving, so if you don't have a meter and don't want one and have reason to think they can't fit one it might pay you to ask for one ?
Smiley
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Water meter

I am puzzled
I thought that the water bills were always based upon the notional rateable value (not the Council Tax Band) unless you had a water meter
Having one fitted saved me a lot of money
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Water charges are always based on the rateable value of the house unless a meter is fitted. Our meter halved our water bill!
Community Veteran

Sorry I should clarify that a bit further, as they cannot fit a water meter I think they estimate what you would have paid if you were using one and charge you that figure rather that the amount based on the rateable value.
itsme
Grafter

Also is the main water supply shared as the outside stop valve is normally the other side of the boundary and this is where the metre is fitted if it's feeding a single dwelling.
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

Our water meter saved us 60%, we still pay much less now than we did on rateable value 21yrs later
Community Veteran

Me too. Got great savings with a meter due to high rateable value. Really pleased with the savings Smiley
Fixes: 121

Quite the opposite with us. We had a very low rateable value but since a meter was installed our water costs have almost trebled Angry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Don't you have a 'cooling off' period in which you can switch back again Undecided
Fixes: 121

I was off the understanding there is no choice in the matter Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

the blurb i got said i could get rid of it within the first year if i didn't like it.  after that i would have been stuck with it.
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

I believe that is now the case and was a ruling that came in later, certainly after we had ours fitted.
davidj66
Rising Star

AFAIA any house built after 1990 has to have a meter - in theory, any house without a meter SHOULD be put on one at change of ownership (but water companies don't seem to bother!) plus any area (such as Thames Water) which is "under severe water distress" can force the fitting.
Community Veteran

The literature they sent us stated that if a water meter was fitted we had 24 months to change our mind, if we did the meter would be left in place and we would revert back to bills based on the rateable value however if we sold the house then the new owners would have no choice and be billed on the meter.
Estimates were also shown in the info they sent us and in some examples shown some people would be no better off with a meter and may be worse off ie. A large family in a low rateable property or someone in a higher rated property but with a swimming pool.
The majority of external stop taps are located on the public pavement but some like ours for some reason is located on our drive and had it been a tarmac drive I guess the meter would have gone there.
Only problem now is to know what to spend the money on that I have saved on my water bill.
Smiley
Community Veteran

On average I seem to remember the breakeven for a water meter to be cost effective was a family and 2 children.