Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water meter - saving water

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Water meter - saving water

Hi all
Just had a visit from my water company to fit  some "bits and bobs"(Anglian water) to help reduce the amount of water used.
http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/environment/how-you-can-help/using-water-wisely/we-products/
Anglian water send a member of the team round to fit the devices. Very good service and its is free.
I am sure other water companies do something similar, so worth checking out .
Save water and money all at the same time  Smiley
Kind regards
Mike
Mike
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Water meter - saving water

Quote from: I
Save water and money all at the same time

Or as in my case.
Scrimp, go without, and not really save that much.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Quote from: billnotben
Scrimp, go without, and not really save that much.

Exactly !,  lets do some maths.
The scheme linked to in the original post, aims to save 20 litres per day, which is only about 5% of my typical daily usage.
Anglian Water charge £1.5136 per cubic meter.  (Metered charges).
So in an entire year you would save £11.05  Embarrassed
        365 days * £1.5138 * (20 litres per day / 1000 litres per cubic meter)
I'm surprised they even bother, as the target amount of water saved is insignificant, and the cost of providing the service must be much greater than the amount saved.  The water companies would save much more water by fixing leaks in their supply pipes, and could save money by monitoring their contractors so that they use an appropriate number of people for each job - rather than the typical three blokes standing around watching another digging a hole.
Crazy
itsme
Grafter

You forgot the £1.6195 per cubic meter sewage charge
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

Have a look at https://www.savewatersavemoney.co.uk/ to calculate what activity uses the most water in your household.
For me, it was the toilet. 60% of the water used is from that one source.
Community Veteran

The point of diminishing returns is soon reached when "saving" water.
You can only save so much because of the way that it is priced.
I still feel I am paying too much for the service I receive.
Despite my bill rating being off the scale below "single bedroom flat and no garden".
Even though I live in a three bedroom house with a garden.
Community Veteran

We're not saving water, as there's a fixed amount of water on this planet, the only "saving" is the cost of chlorine and treatments, with some basic filtering equipment, you could have your own free water supply using your roof & guttering... Grin
Community Veteran

The thread was originally asking if a water meter saved money. As some people have already said it depends on individual usage. I don't know what I would pay today through rateable value as I have had a water meter for many years. My recollection is that I was paying over £300 per annum at that time. I am now paying less than £150 with a meter.
Community Veteran

In the end it still strangely depends where you live.
For example, at the last check, the standard charge (not metered) only 20-30 miles away is less than half my metered price.
Around the country the water comes from the same sources, treatment prices can't vary that much, I can't fathom why there are such yawning price differentials.
I could understand it if desalination plants were involved but in this water awash country that are not.
Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
I can't fathom why there are such yawning price differentials.

It's shareholders wanting to buy the next bentley or rolls royce forcing the prices to be varied...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Doubtful! I paid some of my hard-earned money to buy Severn Trent shares and I own a Ford Fiesta!
In England and Wales there are regional differences in domestic water rates. Your domestic water rate will depend on the availability of water in your region and the size of your region.
http://www.uswitch.com/water/price-of-water/
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Water Meter charges are the Government's stealth Poll Tax.  Why should we be charged for what we use?  Water should be taxed according to our wealth. Wink
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
itsme
Grafter

Community Veteran

This article refers to business users. Are domestic users also deregulated at the same time?
itsme
Grafter

I thought it was but can't find any confirmation for this so have to presume it's only businesses
Quote from: nozzer
In England and Wales there are regional differences in domestic water rates. Your domestic water rate will depend on the availability of water in your region and the size of your region.

No different to electric and gas as these also have region variations