cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water into whine

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Water into whine

The low water level warning came on on my Ford galaxy, so I did the responsible thing and filled it up - to the brim. A couple of squirts to get the water through then off to work. On arrival I noticed that the warning light was on again. So expecting to find a full bottle and a faulty gauge I topped it up again. I was most surprised to find it empty. I topped it up again, and sure enough half hour later it was empty.
I only had a litre of water left, so put that in, and it's switched the light off and there is still water in there.
I can only assume, that somehow there is a siphon effect when it is full, yet when only part filled it doesn't fill the pipe enough to create this effect.
Any other ideas anyone? I did think maybe the weight was twisting a joint, but as the water drains the weight would reduce. I'm a bit puzzled here. Shocked
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Water into whine

are you talking about screen wash or radiator?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Screen wash. Checked this morning, still water there.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Have you checked for leaks as I doubt the bottle would empty itself by siphon as it doesn't make any sense to have such a thing in a windscreen washer bottle. It maybe emptying itself but only when used, while stationary try washing your windows then look under the car and bonnet and look for leaks. In this cold weather then water can easily freeze breaking joints and bursting pipes etc.
Community Veteran

Thursday is the odd thing though, I filled it to the top, sprayed it twice only and later on it was empty (without using it again). I will check for leaks, in as much as I can, as I can't actually get to the base of the bottle, only the top.  I just have to find somewhere dry to see if it leaks out Elkhart stationary.
Removing/replacing looks like a major job as everything else seems to be built round it.
Community Veteran

Mine also looks difficult to get to but the washer pump on mine actually just pulls out (a fairly tough pull).
The base of the pump being held and sealed by a large O ring.
Now if this ring were to fail, being at the lowest point, the washer bottle would soon empty.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Simple way to check for leaks from any part of your car is to place a newspaper or cardboard under the area where you suspect the leak and if necessary use a couple of bricks to stop it blowing away if the car is outside..
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

My other brother's pug had a massive leak on his washer pipework where the hose went from the pump, along the bonnet hinge and to the spray nozzles, the bit round the hinge had split so every time he used the washers, barely anything came out the jets, I managed to fix it with self-amalgamating tape over the split and every time he's been (he lives on't t'other side of england) I've asked if it's still working, and that's about 6 or 7 years on... Grin
Probably not the issue here, but, worth a look and a mention... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Have you got a rear wiper/washer ?  if so.... does it still work ...... washer, I mean ? ? 
If not... then suspect a pipe join has burst.  On my old Skoda Fabia.... there was a join in the bulkhead, for the piping to go to the rear of the car via the door pillars etc...  this was often the cause of similar experiences... ( the water just drained down to the level of the join... and although the fron washer would work, at low level, it did mean topping up quite often... until I found it, and it was easy enough to just pop the pipe back on to the joiner....  another one when it was really frosty and freezing cold... there was a joiner inside the rear door jamb... where the pipe came down from the roof line to meet up with the rear washer.... this would freeze, and then "pop" off when it defrosted...  difficult one to notice/find