Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water, Water... Not a drop to drink

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Water, Water... Not a drop to drink

Cape Town could be just weeks away from exploding into violence with people fighting over water after severe drought

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5404117/Africas-tenth-biggest-city-facing-worrying-water-cri...

How long before this happens in Britain ?

Ladybower Reservoir Derbyshire

Ladybower 1959.jpgLadybower 1976.jpg

17 REPLIES
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Water, Water... Not a drop to drink

@Infinity wrote:

exploding into violence with people fighting over water

Fake news with a racist twist from The Mail? What a surprise.

Community Veteran

@Infinity wrote:

How long before this happens in Britain ?

Centuries, it's too wet here to ever end up in a severe enough drought that reduces us to a dried up dustbowl with no water to be had for miles...

Champnet
Pro
Fixes: 1

A couple of hot days in the summer and we have a drought. Pictures are shown of dried-up reservoirs etc..........

I've often thought it's not a water shortage problem but a water management problem............

Community Veteran

@Champnet wrote:

I've often thought it's not a water shortage problem but a water management problem............

Especially when some parts of the country *cough*london*cough* have pipework that is less watertight than a sieve, leaking so much water that they could fill hundreds olympic sized swimming pools a day, but blame the end user for the loss of water and tell us to "save water" when we're not the ones wasting it... Crazy2

Community Veteran

@Champnet wrote:

a water management problem............

Just put the price up.

That government think tank solution solves all problems.Smiley

Community Veteran

Severn Trent Water charge the public about £1.50 per cubic Metre for fresh water (Thames water is £1.30 /cu M).  The cost of desalinating sea water to provide fresh water runs at about $0.50 per cubic Metre, so there seems to be a disparity. If the UK becomes short of fresh water I can see plenty of mileage in using surplus/off peak wind power generated electricity to produce fresh water from sea water.

As graphene research progresses it will bring down the costs of desalination plants, hence the operating costs too.  Provided the Government insists the water companies insist the water companies develop reserve capacity via desalination there is no reason for water shrtage in the UK.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
JPN
Rising Star

The cost of desalination depends on the technology and where you are. In the middle east, where electricity costs are low it may well be in the area of US$0.5 per cubic metre.  (I also suspect the 'cost' in the UK is not the £1.50 that is charged - that will include a profit element. Can't find directly comparable figures just at the moment though). Where electricity is more expensive (most of Europe) then you're looking at closer to US$3pcm.   Graphene may well help, but ultimately if you're using RO to desalinate the power is needed to push volumes of water through very tiny pores to remove the salt, so power hungry whatever the substrate.

The posters above are correct that in the UK it is largely a management problem.  A few fine days in the summer may reduce supplies in the overpopulated south east, but up north there is plenty of water.

There were some proposals to build extra reservoirs in the Oxford area, but these were scuppered by both environmentalists and by the EU requiring governments to take the same approach to water as they do to electricity; ration by price and availability.  Rather than allow extra collection and supply of water, they are moving to the same 'competitive' structure as the electricty 'market',   Hence the stress on installing water meters.  You'll shortly have the pleasure of having to change your water supplier every year in order to maintain a reasonable cost, much as you do with electricity.

Community Veteran

@JPN wrote:...

A few fine days in the summer may reduce supplies in the overpopulated south east, but up north there is plenty of water....

You propose to rob us careful Northerners of water to supply the lawn sprinklers of the profligate Southerners?

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Of course they do, got to rob Peter to pay Paul after all... Grin

Now if North England declared independence from South England, we could set up an international trade deal with them to sell water to them at an extortionate rate............... Evil

JPN
Rising Star

I live approx 20 miles south of the Scottish Border.  Is that far enough up to qualify as 'us northerners'?

Smiley

Champnet
Pro

When I was working in Central London it was claimed the North started at Watford.

When I was working in South London it was claimed the North started the other side of the Thames

2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 2

Nah, Its Calais. Smiley

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

@AlaricAdair wrote:

@JPN wrote:...

A few fine days in the summer may reduce supplies in the overpopulated south east, but up north there is plenty of water....

You propose to rob us careful Northerners of water to supply the lawn sprinklers of the profligate Southerners?

Remember these ?

From 1995, Yorkshire Water Tankers

Y.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-13815317

y2.jpeg

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

@Champnet wrote:

When I was working in Central London it was claimed the North started at Watford.

When I was working in South London it was claimed the North started the other side of the Thames

Yes, where I live job agencies think anything within the M25 is Central London.

You try commuting from South East (where I am) to North West, that'll be tube Zone 3-4 the other end and a 2 hour commute each way. Nice.

4 hour day commute (assuming the tubes and trains don't have any problems, and often they do), and your working day.