cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Tap Aerators and Flushing Loos

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

Water Tap Aerators and Flushing Loos

I want to save water Angel and am exploring and testing water tap aerators and flushing loo systems. 

You may have already done so? Roll eyes If, so I seek your advice. Thumbs Up

So far, I have measured my sink hot and cold flow-rates on the kitchen mixer tap. The cold was 18 litres per minute (LPM) and the hot was 9 LPM. I switched it  to a 4 LPM aerator £1.99, ( and it was too weak for my needs, but a 6 LPM aerator, also £1.99)  is acceptable. Now I'm looking at all the other water outlets and thinking about those, have you replaced all of your taps? If so, any pointers would be welcome Cheesy

As for the loos, well they are both old single flush syphons (with a brick or water Hippo in the cistern) so, should I get a conversion to dual flush or is a variable hand flapper system better?Undecided 

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
8 REPLIES
VileReynard
All Star
Fixes: 11

Re: Water Tap Aerators and Flushing Loos

Is this a joke?

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

@VileReynard I wish it was Smiley Currently, using airators on taps has clearly saved water, but I can't quantity it other than the  reduced force of the flow and the actual amount used in things like washing up Smiley

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Leapy

I have my doubts about aeration ..   if you need a bowl full of water for washing up purposes, then that's a bowl full of water, regardless of aeration. I have also found from experiences of hotel aerated taps, that they don't seem to rinse soap away as effectively as a good solid flow.

As for loos, well, I found by experience that restricting the amount of water that goes down the pipe when flushing can be a bad thing. You need the volume of water to get the stuff away effectively, otherwise blockages can result (as I found!). Maybe it's a function of what we eat as a family! 

Highly technical stuff this! haha

Marksfish
Aspiring Pro

Was thinking of getting a aerator shower head to make up for the poor water pressure. Can't have a pump as the drain wouldn't cope Sad

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

@nozzer 

I agree diet plays a very important function in what you flush. Smiley

Currently I have a single big flush only option and as a lot of the flushing is not solid matter, I think a little flush maybe greener and more economic as we pay for what us use and I feel its just flushing money down the loo! Roll eyes

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

@Marksfish 

That sounds logical and it would feel make the shower spray feel bigger if your flow pressure is around the flow-rate of the aerator, but it may feel slightly colder.

Let us know if you do it and the outcome. Smiley

idonno
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Leapy If you have a close coupled cistern, you can easily fit a dual flush syphon. Mine originally had a single flush which took about half hour to swap over to a dual flush. Even came with a two position button to press. £20 should get what you want. And as you say, if there isn't any solid you don't need lots of water going to waste.

One thing I don't lack is pressure. The whole house is direct off the mains (combi boiler). I used to get drowned nigh on every time I ran a tap in the bathroom and the toilet cistern would fill up in seconds. Eventually fitted 3 pressure reducing valves (came with gauges). One fitted to the toilet inlet, 2 to the toilet basin. Set to just over 1 bar. No longer get drowned and the cistern no longer slams shut.

For a proper shower you need pressure, be it, like me, direct off the mains at 3 bar or via a pump. Air doesn't give you water! Can't say I've ever known a shower pump to overflow a properly sized drain - but it will, if it gets blocked. Same as any shower will.

Marksfish
Aspiring Pro

For a proper shower you need pressure, be it, like me, direct off the mains at 3 bar or via a pump. Air doesn't give you water! Can't say I've ever known a shower pump to overflow a properly sized drain - but it will, if it gets blocked. Same as any shower will..

The air assisted shower heads are supposed to achieve a better experience with less water. Do they work? I don't know.

The drain from the shower has not been run at an angle due to the shower tray being flat on the floor and a nrv fitted. Hence, gravity os not draining away as quick as it should.