cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Con

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Water Con

This is by way of an "enlightenment",..... or at worst..... a warning...which us "old folk" can easily get "sucked into"....
Not really a con, but more of a " lets see how we can worry the old folk into parting with their money" (and it`s legal).....
Once a year, I get a letter with my water supplier (Southern Water) logo on the top, and "introducing HomeServe" undeneath it.....
this letter states that I have 2 months "free" (my quotes) protection at my address for water supply pipe emergencies....
It then goes on to inform me about the "service" they are going to provide .... it is an "Insurance policy", designed to cover any underground or above ground burst pipe emergencies, from the Water company stop tap, or street boundary (whichever is nearest your home)...
For example, if the water supply pipe to the house bursts in my front garden, then to "excavate and replace a 5 mtr length of pipe and reinstate the concrete surface... £620 ... BUT with their cover.... it will cost me NOTHING...  and a couple of more examples of similar disasters...
OK... fine in itself.... but I checked with my House building insurance, and this is already covered,.....
the point I am making is..... that quite often.... the householder`s "normal" building insurance. covers this sort of thing, and just because they receive a letter (that looks like it comes) from the Water Supply Company, (it is not..... it is a seperate company)... that they should take the policy as it stands.....

CHECK YOUR HOME POLICY FIRST
.... so you are not paying twice....
so if any of you "look after" older people... ask them if they have (or get) one of these letters. to check with you first, to make sure.....
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Water Con

Talking of cons, we get a lot of charity bags through the letter box and almost all of these are genuine but we get the odd one that has no  registered charity number on but goes on to say in very small print the clothes will be sold for contributions for charity but with no specific charity named.
To make matters worse some con merchants have actually come and collected bags a few hours before the genuine collectors arrived !
It's hard enough not getting scammed when you are young so it must be hellish for some elderly people who live alone.
Community Veteran

@Shutter, good point.  Most comprehensive insurance policies will cover this for you. 
@gleneagle, this is a common con normally carried out by eastern Europeans.  It's the same as the street collectors that approach you. (Chuggers, I think they are called).  If you read the card they have very carefully it's no more than a pyramid selling operation with various percentages paid to different levels of chugger leaving very little to the charity Sad
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Even genuine collections for genuine charities are often made by commercial organisations that receive payment. If possible better to take bags directly to one of the charities' shops. That way they cannot be stolen and the charity will get the maximum benefit.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I havnt bought dustbin bags for s long time, we get at least two a week through the letter box
jmd
Grafter

In the last 7 days I have had 5 "charity" bags through letterbox - I recycle them for rubbish, and Holly gets some exercise dashing to door barking like mad when they come through! Smiley
haggis
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
This is by way of an "enlightenment",..... or at worst..... a warning...which us "old folk" can easily get "sucked into"....

My way of dealing with letters/demands/suggestions like this recieved through the post is read ignore go stick it on the 6" nail next to the toilet or line hamster/rabit cage with it .Charity bags through letter box  are a bigger menace, you can't use in this way not biodegradable,use instead for weekly rubbish or covering grandkids bigger toys that have to live out in the garden. Another use for them is to store boxed birdfood fertiliser grass seeds etc out in your garden shed keeps it all dry. And yes I am offically an old Git  Grin