cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Bills

chuffchuff
Rising Star

Water Bills

We paid £500 for 100 cubic metres of water & waste disposal in the last 12 months.

Both water companies (we have one for supply & one for waste) advise us that our usage is normal for two folk.

Are they correct?

54 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Water Bills

seems OK we use about 30 cu m per quarter except for summer when it rises to 50 cu m due to watering the garden

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

Depends on how clean you are Smiley

Our household (4 people) used that 105m3 in a year.

Really depends on how you use water - gardening, washing the car, dishwasher, running taps when washing, old toilets use more, fill the bath too much, shower for too long.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If you think you're being overcharged for water and presently have no water meter, ask them to fit one, as you could be paying for more than you're using, and with a meter you get actual useage bills as opposed to "well, you have x people in the house so we say you use this much" estimation...
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Seems rather high. 

There is just m'self and the Mrs and we pay just under £20 a month.

We have a water meter fitted, nearly always use the shower rather than a bath, and decided that our dishwasher was something we could do without - so every little helps as they say. 

PS. No lawn to sprinkle in the summer, and our good sized water butt is more than enough for our little vegetable garden. Lots of rain here in Wales and lots of water get's piped from those reservoirs and into England - but don't tell 'em the natives often have a 'leek' in it first Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Thames Water charge according to the old rateable value, and I paid £475 and a few pence for the current year for a two-bedroom property.  One of my neighbours (in an identical property) has had a meter installed so it'll be interesting to see how we compare.

I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper to have a meter, but I'm put off by the idea that if there is a leak my side of the meter I'd be charged a fortune for water I didn't use, and once a meter has been installed you can't go back to the old system.

Community Veteran

Jonpe wrote:

I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper to have a meter, but I'm put off by the idea that if there is a leak my side of the meter I'd be charged a fortune for water I didn't use, and once a meter has been installed you can't go back to the old system.

I think you'd notice the leak if you were being charged a fortune for it... Funny

Arnab

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Just checked mine..

Single Person (9th April 2015 - 29th March 2016)

61 Cubic Meters = £287.55

Occasional use of garden hose to water garden, wash car and fill water butts, washing machine used twice per/week, 15 minute shower every day sometimes twice in summer.

Currently paying £25 DD each month

Minivanman
Hero

@Jonpe

......once a meter has been installed you can't go back to the old system

'Changing your mind • If you choose to have a meter installed, you can switch back to your previous method of charging within the first 12 months. The company will not remove the meter. • You may not be able to switch back to unmetered charges if you live in an area of water stress where the Government has allowed compulsory metering (see page 19) as part of a plan to maintain secure water supplies.'

https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/prs_lft_101117meters.pdf

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero

And areas under stress are currently defined as areas served by the following water companies

• Affinity Water
• Anglian Water
• Essex and Suffolk Water
• South East Water
• Southern Water
• Sutton and East Surrey Water
• Thames Water

Which covers an awful lot of the population.

Look at the Parliamentary Briefing paper for the rights of consumers and water companies http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-7342/CBP-7342.pdf

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We are with Northwest water and had a meter fitted, living in a cul-de-sac there is no public path outside only the road.

A neighbour asked for a water meter to be fitted but they were unwilling to cut into his drive to make a wide enough hole for the meter to be fitted, the second option was a indoor meter under his sink but due to lack of space it could not be fitted there either so they estimated what what his useage would be for 2 adults this has saved him around £12 a month.

Tried the same thing myself but not as fortunate as they managed to fit a meter under our sink (read via bluetooth, so no need for access to the property)

Saved us around the same amount as our neighbour so well worth doing, when you apply they usually enclose a detailed leaflet showing the estimated savings depending on your property and number of people in the house,there are instances where a meter could cost you more money or the savings so minimal it would not be worth getting one.

Minivanman
Hero

@SpendLessTime

'And areas under stress are currently defined as areas served by the following water companies...'

And all down in one area by the look of things..... must be something in the water Smiley

SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero

Yep, fresh air!

But that is only just one of categories where a water company can enforce a water meter without the consumer's consent.

The others are interesting too, just one of the following has to apply anywhere in the UK:

• uses an automatic watering device (such as a garden sprinkler);
• automatically fill a swimming pool or pond;
• have a large bath;
• use a reverse osmosis softening unit;
• have a power shower;
• is the new occupier of a property (provided an unmetered bill has
not already been sent to that occupier)

So what counts as a large bath (it is not defined in the briefing document)?

Also all new builds (or conversion of 1 property inio many) can have enforced metering.

Community Veteran

At Adair Towers we have a water meter and it saves money on the bill compared with rateable value water billing. A good job we don't use utility water to fill the moat.  The meter in our cellar is wireless so the meter guy can read it outside the house without knocking on the door.

If you have your own well you can extract 20 Cu M per day without a licence, http://www.welldrilling-uk.co.uk/borehole-questions-answers.html

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Supply and waste with Severn Trent for last 12 months £296. Metered usage 82m3

Two adults, frequent showers, occasional bath. Very little on garden.

Not young enough to know everything