Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Bills

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Water Bills

'I think my 'thin' days are long gone'

Same here, I used to be so thin I'd have to run around in a shower just to get wet!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Strat

simply using 69 years of experience in judging measurements.

You don't need 69 years to judge measurement, we learn that as soon as puberty takes hold!  Funny

Community Veteran

Yeah, but those measurements are always over-exaggerated... Funny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Mav wrote:

Before we had a meter installed our supply and waste was £20.50 pm. Since the meter was installed our monthly bill has tripled with no change to our usage.

Water bill is based on rateable value plus number of people occupying the property so in some  cases a water meter could cost more.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

@gleneagles

My bills have always been charged either on the net rateable value and standing charge, or metered use and standing charge. I am only aware of the number of occupants being taken account of with an assessed charge for premises that are unsuitable for metering due to something like premises' pipework being common with others.

Please educate, where you came accross the method you describe. Smiley

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@twocvbloke

Ah yes but I think that mainly applies to fishermen, they tell some whoppers! Mine on the other hand.....

Community Veteran

I don't think think we need to know which hand you use... Crazy

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Who said anything about using hands? I have 2 feet and put them both to good use! Cheesy

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

We went on a water meter 21 years ago and it saved us over 60% on the charge based on the rateable value. Judging by bill we got yesterday we are still saving around the same percentage based on the 20yr old pricing.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

@Luzern

My apologies, that statement is incorrect, clearly this is one of those moments when posting before engaging brain or at least checking facts before posting occured.

Smiley

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

@gleneagles

There was no need to send me those apples! I could have been wrong about any provincial oddities (not you)!CheesyGrin

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

@Mayfly

We had a meter fitted (at no cost) which had the same result as you did. Surprisingly it was recommended by the Water Company!

Grin  Thumbs Up

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

EDIT:

Thanks @colintivy for pointing out my erroneous post below, not sure what I was thinking when I posted it but as Colin has pointed out, this relates to SMART energy meters, NOT water meters.

Hopefully someone will still find the information useful though.

@colintivy

You fell for that one too then? Me too!

Although advertised as free according to a investigation last week on TV they're not free. One water company when questioned even said they weren't aware of that wording in their adverts and would remove it.

Can't remember the name of the programme though hopefully someone else saw it?

EDIT:

Just found it, it was the Tonight Programme - see here: Think your smart meter is free? Think again

Link to video: http://www.itv.com/hub/tonight/1a9757a0066

11 Billion pounds will be added to our bills to cover the cost of this nationwide roll out and possibly a further 1.1 Billion extra to cover the cost of those customers who will require more than one visit. We won't be expected to pay up front but we will all pay eventually.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@MKSlinky.

Thanks for noticing my comment.

No I did not fall for it! Your quotes were for the all-singing digital meters that are being discussed for future times..

My meter was installed with a new shut-off tap down a little hole in the drive with a nice tidy cast-iron lid. It has a mechanical dial with an indication of working and the current total consumed. I cannot remember the date, but about 20 or 30 years ago!! (I do not hoard bills that far back!). Occasionally we have been asked to read the meter and email the result to the Water Company, presumably our rural location is not worth the drive out here on a regular basis. This treatment has not resulted in any inaccuracies in the calculation of the current bill.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@colintivy

Doa'h..., you're absolutely right! Don't what I was thinking when I posted that. Crazy2 Still some people here mind find it useful.

I found my water meter to be very useful recently when I discovered my stop-[-Censored-] under the sink had seized, luckily I noticed that shut off valve on the meter. Problem solved. Thumbs Up