Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watch out, Tesco are at it again

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Watch out, Tesco are at it again

Selling lumps of clay for £470  Shocked
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2507202/Father-complained-Tesco-470-iPad-actually-box-filled...
It happened last year but it's only just been published.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Watch out, Tesco are at it again

Something very smelly about that story. Why/how was it registered in his name and how did it get to Wales.
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
Something very smelly about that story

It's from the Daily Mail: a paper with less creditbility than Hans Christian Andersen  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

As stated in the opening post the story is nearly a year old -why has it suddenly been reported and is even here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/10451180/iPad-sold-by-Tesco-was-made-of-clay.html all with the same picture
kmilburn
Grafter

Not to mention their timely publication of the story,  looks like everything was resolved in February.
Unfortunaly,  journalists at other papers seem to pay as much attention as a gnat,  hence reproducing the the story...
But then, the DM is 'special',   I find myself looking it it to see how absurd they can get...
On the timely front, a few days ago about the 10 year old that can speak backwards,  the video clip was posted to youtube in April 2012!  Angry
Yeasterday they gave away the ending to Poirot in the article headline,  then finished it with a 'spoiler' warning..
kdoug007
Grafter

tesco  keep asking  themselves  why there  NOT  doing  great  business...
  well may i  suggest they  re-introduce  2  points  for a £1  spent..  rather than the 1 point  they now  have!!!!!!!!!!
im sure  customers  would  return in there  thousands.
Community Veteran

Something very smelly about that story. Why/how was it registered in his name and how did it get to Wales.

Gotta admit that bit didn't quite make sense to me either unless there was a staff member on the fiddle somewhere (quite plausible) who could look up things on Tescos computer and find out who bought what etc.
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: kdoug007
im sure  customers  would  return in there  thousands

I'm not so sure - I'm way happier going shopping now we no longer have the weekly war, battling through Tesco.
We also found that, despite Sainsbury and Waitrose being more expensive, we actually spend a little less because we get a lot less.  That also means we waste less.  And we eat a lot better.  Win-win-win, in my book.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/14/conned-father-finds-ipad-box-stuffed-with-clay-then-gets-arrested-for-...
He remained on bail for almost two months until police discovered that the tablet was activated under a different name in Wales.
The father-of-two has since got his money returned to him and had his bail cancelled but has been spared an apology. No further action was taken against him.
and from the Telegraph linked above
"Two days later, I got a call at about 8pm from the police asking if I could come down to the station to answer some questions. I just thought they wanted to know what had happened, but the next thing I know I'm being bundled into a cell.
"I was in there for three hours. It was then they told me the iPad had been activated in my name. I just thought 'how can that possibly be?' It didn't make any sense.
Something really doesn't sound right
Community Veteran

Sounds like the media have mis-written bits of it if you ask me.
Either way I still say Tesco are at fault for this. Of course it has absolutely nothing to do with me using that stores petrol station years ago and having an arguement with the cashier about that 1p extra the pump clicks over by. Cheeky moo refused to give me a receipt for my payment unless I had the 1p that THEIR pump had decided to add on. Can you believe she actually told me to come back another day and give them the penny and they'd then give me the receipt? - I lived nowhere near Whitstable and was simply passing through after conducting some business.
Tesco are a funny bunch. We took a defective electrical back there the other day and had to have a right old spat to get our money back. Nasty big company..
Community Veteran

I took an 11 month old kettle that had died back, got a new one and a REFUND since the new one was cheaper  Cheesy
The old 1p thing on fuel is a bug bear, but no one does anything about it, I prefer the new TESCO pumps that let you choose how much you want in £ or l. So if you want £10's worth you get £10 not £10.01/2/3/4/5p
Community Veteran

The old 1p thing on fuel is a bug bear, but no one does anything about it

Sainsburys did! They admitted they were doing it on BBC Watchdog last year claiming that the pumps were set to round up the price due to the .09 of a pence they work by. Strangely, this has never been an issue in the last 20 odd years  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

But did they change it?
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

sounds more like the daily hail has an axe to grind with Tesco and they have enlisted the torygraph to polish it up a wee bit, the story looks rather to made up and twisted to be believeable in anything other than some dude bought an overpriced Icrap and went to take it back but on opening it found the box to contain some clay rather than the device.....
as for Tesco calling the plod, who the hell wouldn't if they suspected some kind of fraud ?
now as for the staff of a store who are rude, I find it depends on the area and attitude of the consumer as much as anything else (not just Tesco's mind you the same crap happens in pretty much every chain store)

if you want find real news though I'd stear clear of old newspapers they've all devolved into junk press more likely to find something factual on the back of a fag packet....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

But did they change it?

Nope!
Sainsburys justified themselves top watchdog and watchdog left it at that. In their eyes they're off the hook. I used a Painsburys pump the other day and the same thing happened again  Angry