Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watch it!

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Watch it!

Well,. now I have grabbed your attention !...

I am getting a bit miffed about having to buy a two part watch strap, every time the "tongue" bit wears out..

I have now got 7 buckle straps...

Missus says..." well you can`t buy just one part of the strap"....  I said... "I know... but ... Why not ? ? ? " 

"It is a "repair item" ... "  "When you take your shoes in, you don`t HAVE TO... have soles and heels done , do you? you just get the part that is worn repaired.. why not the same with watch straps? ?   "

Anyway... being a Yokshurman, I decided, that with a bit of ingenuity, I could make two of those buckle straps into one of the others... took about 15 mins... and works quite well...Cheesy

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 140

Re: Watch it!

@shutter 

The things that you up North have to do to get by!

I go the other way, I buy a cheap waterproof Casio watch with a matching black plastic strap that has every function that I ever need. I have found that the battery in these lasts longer than the strap and a replacement strap that lasts more than 5 minutes costs nearly as much as a new watch. I just buy a new watch when the strap goes as I'm sure that if I replaced the strap the battery would fail.

Unless of course you are using a clockwork wind up watch.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@shutter 

Next you'll be telling us how to replace a light bulb filament!  Grin

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 43

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@shutter 

Just as a point of interest, @Baldrick1 , @shutter is in self-exile on the south-east coast.Cheesy

John
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 140

@jab1 

I stand corrected. I should have said 'from up North'.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@shutter 

Actually, I am domiciled  "darn sarf"... near Portsmouth.... It`s "ok" here, but nowhere near as nice as Yokshure..

I don`t like chucking stuff away, if I can make a use of it.... and even worse when you HAVE to buy more than you need,  ( as in this case) ... knowing that the "excess" will just laze around taking up space...

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@RobPN wrote:

@shutter 

Next you'll be telling us how to replace a light bulb filament!  Grin

Is it wrong that i've found myself wondering several times if the LED bulbs can have their LEDs replaced? - Seems pointless to waste the glass and bayonet fitting when they're perfectly good.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@7up wrote:

Is it wrong that i've found myself wondering several times if the LED bulbs can have their LEDs replaced?

You can if they're SMD type LEDs, but whether it's worth the tedium of desoldering the old ones and the pain and frustration of soldering in the new ones, ugh, giving me nightmares just thinking of it!!!

As for the LED-filaments, well they're also replaceable, if you can get a reliable source of them (usually china), and can extract them without destroying the bulb, which is hard given they're made like traditional bulbs and tend to be sealed in the glass bulb, and then of course weld (because the wire they use in bulbs is not welcoming of solder) the new ones in...