cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watch battery replacement

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Watch battery replacement

I Have replaced watch batteries many times but on one watch I could not get the back to go on properly, the waterproof seal may have been the problem, anyhow had a look on the internet and found this you tube video (one of many)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqeL82PC0Rw
I Did not have a nut the correct size but found a large socket that was the perfect size so the back went on easily using the method shown.
Clearly this may not be a good idea for an expensive watch.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Watch battery replacement

Most expensive watches are automatic (don't need a battery).
I think watch shops pressure test repaired watches to make sure they are correctly sealed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

not the ones I have used
Community Veteran

@gleneagles, you don't say that type of watch it is.  I tend to wear cheap watches for everyday use and if a battery needs replacing I take it to a man in the local market. Normally costs me £5 inclusive of the battery.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
not the ones I have used

I meant as in Patek Phillipe/IWC/Audemars Piguet/Rolex/Richard Mille/Bovet/Jaeger-LeCoultre
You get very few quartz watches from those manufacturers (one of the reasons they are very expensive is the automatic movements designed/developed/used)
TORPC
Grafter

The watch shops I have used, do not pressure test afaik
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
@gleneagles, you don't say that type of watch it is.  I tend to wear cheap watches for everyday use and if a battery needs replacing I take it to a man in the local market. Normally costs me £5 inclusive of the battery.
It's a Casio, had it about 5 years and it cost around £20, Have three other watches purchased in Bulgaria and Spain over 10 years ago for less than a fiver and all keep good time.
You can get a card full of batteries, about 20 or so in these pound shops but I find they last about 6 months.
The Casio battery was £2.75 from ebay..... remains to be seen if it is an original or fake only time will tell but it works at present
Community Veteran

Quote from: AndyH
Quote from: Oldjim
not the ones I have used

I meant as in Patek Phillipe/IWC/Audemars Piguet/Rolex/Richard Mille/Bovet/Jaeger-LeCoultre
You get very few quartz watches from those manufacturers (one of the reasons they are very expensive is the automatic movements designed/developed/used)
But my £5 quartz watches are more accurate
Smiley
TORPC
Grafter

Do they tell the time to the Nano second ?Huh
Fixes: 47

My watch sets itself from the time signal at 2am every day.
Then I wait until after 3 to be attended to on a 2 o'clock appointment...
Obviously not everyone's watch has this facility Sad
I remember getting an LCD watch for 99p and a replacement battery cost £1.50.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
But my £5 quartz watches are more accurate
Smiley

Yep, but you have to admire the mechanical movements of watches. Quite incredible how they come up with the designs and put everything together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNHP0qWId8I
Community Veteran

Whilst I agree with you, the inner workings of a watch remain out of sight unless you remove the back or it has a glass back, some watches, mostly pocket watches do have a glass front so the workings can be seen but this is fairly rare.

I would never buy an expensive watch even if I could afford it as there is always the worry of losing it or getting robbed.
The cost of servicing an expensive watch is likely to be well over a £100 . Reminds me of what they said about a Rolls Royce, if you asked how much it cost to run then you couldn't afford it.
TORPC
Grafter

Exactly, which would make one exhausted to work to fund the price of their parts