cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wasting Police time.....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Wasting Police time.....

We hear this phrase being used, quite often... where someone makes an allegation, and eventually, after the Police have done their bit, they decide there is no truth or little they can do about it, due to lack of evidence ( that they can produce in court)... therefore they then charge the person making the allegation with "wasting police time"... this goes to court with all the facts and figures associated with the investigation, and the person gets a fine, or community order...

for wasting police time...

Now.. I wonder why, nobody has actually charged the police, for "Wasting MY time".. and claiming suitable compensation for their loss... of earnings, profits, and charge for the time wasted at their "going rate"...

. when they keep motorists in a big tailback carpark. for hours on end, while they "carry out THEIR work"... thus stopping the citizens from going about their business in a lawful ( some may be unlawful - but hey ! )... way.. keeping them prisoner in their cars without food or water for longer than necessary..

Yup. ! Road accidents "could" be classed as a Scene of Crime... but really... it`s "just an accident" to everyone else,... and certainly, the Police and rescue services need to be able to work safely.."Gathering evidence and treating the injured"....  . but often. the police just close the road completely, even though they could quite safely use one lane to let traffic pass and get on their way... albeit slowly.

Very often we hear of a motorway ( 3 lanes or more ).being closed for half a day, or more...  No need to keep a road closed for anything longer than an hour, which should be enough time to take pics log the scene, ... move debris.. move wounded, to a safer area, cone the place off, and get the traffic moving again...

If roadworkers can work safely with a line of cones between them and 40 mph traffic, then surely the traffic cops can do the same thing.. 

13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Wasting Police time.....

In America I suppose that's the time that could be better spent eating doughnuts.

Here it's time that can be spent blazing past me on a flyover blue lights flashing then seen stopped outside a chippy ordering their dinner. Maybe some doughnuts as well.

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Hope you reported that @billnotben - if true it is a major abuse of power,

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

quite simple really.

it's not an offence to waste your time.
Community Veteran

Who says so?   if someone wastes my time... I consider it an offence .... and I am sure many others would, .... if they really thought about it..

A company, like ICI, or Tesco`s.. or any transport company, could also consider it an offence... as it is the police preventing lawful passage on the queens highway, for their own purposes..

certainly their actions are blocking the right of passage.  if the law ( of wasting [police] time )..  is good for them,  then it must be also equally good for the public for whom they are supposed to "serve" .. i.e. wasting [public] time.....

So what you are saying, then chenks, is that there is one law for the police and a different set of laws for the public..  ? 

Community Veteran

offence as in "a breach of a law or rule; an illegal act."

and there's only one set of laws, and there is no law that makes it an offence to waste your time.
it is an offence to waste police time.

Community Veteran

If you say so.... which makes the law "unequal"...

Community Veteran

not if i say so at all.
what the law says.

if you don't understand that then there is something very wrong.
however, i suspect you do understand it and are just attempting to troll.
Community Veteran

That's true enough though if it's deliberate and unwarranted there are usually some consequences for those concerned.

Community Veteran

Methinks you are the troll in this case...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I guess in some instances the police could speed things up but if someone is injured in a road accident the police may well have to wait for other services such as ambulance and fire service to arrive and they may have to be advised that any passengers are save to be moved or the vehicles are safe to move before they can act further, equally photographs may have to be take of the incident along with witness statements in case of a court case.

Guess it all takes time...I would rather have my time wasted that be the one involved in the accident.

Now if we were talking about road works where you see one or more lanes closed off for miles but no work being done and that goes on for months..... well that is a real time waster.

Ref: M6 North and South near Lancaster been like that for months.

Community Veteran

Favourite road sign is the one that starts "Temporary".

A couple around here have been in place so long they are virtually permanent.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well these days even if you're not wasting police time they can still accuse you of it and you'll pay for it with a fixed penalty and your life - literally:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-39355895

The story is told slightly differently on the beebs website - on the TV they made a big hoohah out of the fact that she was given a fixed penalty for wasting police time.. yet the website says that he showed them messages that she sent saying she wanted to be with him just the day before. A strange situation but either way they fined her she paid with her life.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

@shutter

Chenks just being his usual awkward self. Crazy2

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.