Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waste of paper

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Waste of paper

Got a reminder to book car in for MOT which I did online, paying in advance, you choose date, time and garage etc…

Since then I have been sent 3 reminders in the post informing me my MOT is due to expire shortly, these reminders are from the same National company I have booked it with !

So same as topic on Banking…..totally unnecessary correspondence….

We are born into history and history is born into us.
8 REPLIES 8
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Waste of paper

Well, it’s actually very simple daft and wasteful as it may seem, paper is reliable.

It can’t be hacked, it can’t corrupt and it’s what most people grew up using and we trust it. 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

DVLA are just as guilty. Sold little'uns mums car recently, they sent an acknowledgement and then say if you get any tax reminders to ignore them as they are printed up to 6 weeks in advance.

Whats the point of that? - Why not send them out a week after instead?

@Minivanman wrote:

Well, it’s actually very simple daft and wasteful as it may seem, paper is reliable.

It can’t be hacked, it can’t corrupt and it’s what most people grew up using and we trust it. 

Actually it can be hacked. Years ago on Tomorrows World, Phillipa Forester demonstrated a new spray that comes in an aerosol can that could be used on envelopes to allow you to see through them. It was all very secretive and only for use by the security services however i quickly discovered within 5 minutes that a spray can of Lynx deodorant does exactly the same job - the only difference being the envelope will have a smell afterwards.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

What about Impulse?  If you get caught reading other people's mail, you could just say you couldn't help acting on Impulse (as the advert claims).

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@7up 

"Actually it can be hacked..."

Or you could just intercept the letter and open it! 😆

Would that be 'hacking' though? 🤔

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

@Minivanman depends whether you just carefully prised the tab open or hacked open the envelope, ripping it to shreds in the process, I suppose !  Cheesy

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@7up wrote:

DVLA are just as guilty. Sold little'uns mums car recently, they sent an acknowledgement and then say if you get any tax reminders to ignore them as they are printed up to 6 weeks in advance.

Whats the point of that? - Why not send them out a week after instead?

@Minivanman wrote:

Actually it can be hacked. Years ago on Tomorrows World, Phillipa Forester demonstrated a new spray that comes in an aerosol can that could be used on envelopes to allow you to see through them. It was all very secretive and only for use by the security services however i quickly discovered within 5 minutes that a spray can of Lynx deodorant does exactly the same job - the only difference being the envelope will have a smell afterwards.

Well that solves one mystery……

Wondered why some of my envelopes smelled so nice.

😉

We are born into history and history is born into us.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

@7up wrote:

Depending on the thickness of the envelope, a strong torch beam can sometimes suffice.  😉

The Internet gave us access to everything; but it also gave everything access to us.
James Veitch

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@Minivanman wrote:

@7up 

"Actually it can be hacked..."

Or you could just intercept the letter and open it! 😆

Would that be 'hacking' though? 🤔

Well hacking is making something function in a way it wouldn't normally so by applying something to it that you can then see through the envelope, it's been compromised. You can also steam them open over a kettle and reseal them.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!