cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wasps.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Wasps.

Got a real plague of them this year, near our back door we have some sort of Pine tree and the thing has been covered in wasps for the past few weeks, assume they must be after the sap to build an even bigger nest which appears to be in our loft space with the entrance under one of our ridge tiles. Is there anything I can leave near this entrance to stop them coming in, I have tried a sponge soaked in diesel and placed it in front of the entrance but that's not stopped them so anyone got any ideas.
Other than calling out someone from the council who charge about £50 to do the job !
Normally I would not bother doing anything but the tiles in question are less than a foot from the top of our front door
Sensible suggestions please.
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Wasps.

I think you may have a nest nearby in which case you need to have it removed.  The local council should be able to do this for you.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

As I understand it most Wasps live for a single year and do not use the nest previously used.
As you say the council could remove it but that's not a cheap option, I have no wish to get stung either by the council or the wasps ! Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

On a walk on Wednesday somebody disturbed a wasps nest - result a significant proportion of the walking group got multiple stings and some are still suffering the after effects today
Fixes: 47

Were you one of the unfortunate ones?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Simple remedies often work.... have you tried spraying the nest area with a Wasp and Fly stinger... from you local supermarket... even doing the tree area and the walls around the door and nest area can have an effect... A good blast up the nesting entrance hole will certainly upset them... and probably kill a load of them too..
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I was at the front and didn't even see them or the nest
It was on the same walk that we saw this at Totton - pure fluke as we weren't expecting it
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

To kill a wasp nest you need an appropriate poison (or someone skilled in its use). Using diesel might set fire to your house and isn't effective unless you soak the nest. Wasps will defend their nest.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Try this...actually works. I have one and bins from flat on other side of our garden wall. We never see a wasp.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/No-More-Wasps-Waspinator-Wasp-Nest-Garden-Garage-Loft-/320877880008?pt=LH_...
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Item location: Wakdefiel, United Kingdom

I wonder where that is?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Derbyshire...
Not seen a single Wasp this year, but lots of Bees & Butterflies in the Garden.
They love the Nasturtiums.

Wasps, was plagued with wasps on a picnic a while back, I walked 20ft away and threw some Orange Juice on the grass, they loved it, and stayed away from us.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
Item location: Wakdefiel, United Kingdom

I wonder where that is?

The seller's contact details say -
Horbury Road
Wakefield
West Yorkshire

Obviously a typo  Roll eyes
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I think its an anagram.  Smiley

Community Veteran

few liked Cheesy
Community Veteran

Useful chaps, wasps. I find you have to go a long way to annoy them and I generally welcome their contribution. If you absolutely have to kill a nest (like when the water meter reader won't go near the meter or take your word for it) then I've found bendiocarb powder (goggles and dust mask), puffed directly into the nest entrance (and they will let you, or at least me, do that), to be effective. But otherwise I just let them be.
They're remarkable predators. I've watched them harvesting hoverflies from under a glass verandah roof - grabbing them out of the air, cutting their heads off (I'd been wondering what it was that kept falling on the floor) and flying off with the bodies. Shame they don't eat cats.  Wink
Gabe