cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wasp removal?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Wasp removal?

Anybody got any tips for removing a wasps nest from my attic?
I was just up there going to run some cat V cable, and got stopped at the first hurdle by a football sized wasp nest.  Shocked
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Wasp removal?

Our local council offer a removal service but I think they may charge.
MrC
Grafter

Depends whether the nest entrance is accessible or not.
If it's accessible then wait until night when the wasps are dormant  (very important!) and lightly puff ant/wasp powder into the entrance. Don't hang around once you've done it and don't proceed if you see wasp activity. You don't need much and the nest will usually be dead within a day or so. Obviously only do this if you're happy to do it and don't mind the risks Smiley
If the entrance is inaccessible then you may have to call in a pro.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I think if you wait until the winter, all but the queen (and perhaps a few workers) will be dead (no food for them).
Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Community Veteran

The local council will do it for a charge of £45+. I said no thanks I can't afford that kind of money  Crazy (I am on housing benefit at the mo, if I had £45 spare it would go on food!)
WRT leaving it to winter, not really feasible, as I need to run some cables there.
I will look at what is available in the local stores, I used an aerosol can a few years back, that you could spray from up to 10 feet away, but can't remember any details.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

If you are allergic to insect stings, this could really kill you. Roll eyes

Steve
Seasoned Pro

ANT POWDER! Which you can buy for under 2 quid from any supermarket!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

when I had one in the garden, I poured petrol in to it and set it alight, cant recommend it, but it does work Crazy Crazy Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

when "puffing" the dust in.... or using aerosol, into the entrance hole..... it could be handy to have a large piece of masking tape, 2" wide stuff, to close off the hole, and keep the b..... wasps inside, while you make a quick exit... If no masking tape, use a square of newspaper folded over a couple of times, and some cellotape around the edges to slap on after you do the deed !.... Cheesy
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Why not just creep past, very quietly? Cheesy

Community Veteran

Unfortunately it is in the eves where it isn't floored. So getting access is problematic. I can get to within 3 feet easily but the last bit means standing on joists under the eves... Avoiding wasps ... not a good idea.
As to pouring petrol on it... Well the insurance is up to date  Roll eyes
Quote from: A
Why not just creep past, very quietly? Cheesy

I'm hunting wappits, be velly velly quiet  Grin