cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washing Machine

CX
Grafter

Washing Machine

When I bought this bungalow 3 years ago, the previous owners left their old Creda 1200 Supaspeed washing machine. The dates on the machine indicate it was manufactured in 1992. For three years of moderate use that I've put it through, it's been great.
This week, I put a load in. 4 hours later I thought it was a bit odd I hadn't heard it spin (and it's loud), and found it was still at the start of the programme. I manually advanced it onto the rinse and spin, and it carried on fine. I figured, maybe just a glitch with the timer, or it got stuck. But then another load, same problem. It is not heating the water, even on the 95 degree boil wash, the door glass feels cold. I'm guessing that the controller and timer are working fine, but either the heating element or thermostat have failed, and the controller won't proceed until the hot phase is complete.
The machine has served me (and its previous owner) well, reaching 24 years of age, and although I don't want to throw out a seemingly well-made machine, I don't think it's worth investing money in repairs. It is rough and loud when it spins, and a bit of whine has developed in recent months, so clothes-destroying mechanical problems are likely not far off. So I'm in the market for a new machine.
I have a cheapo Beko tumble dryer. I'm tempting to get a cheapo Beko washing machine, so I have a matched pair. But then they're likely to live different lengths of life, so eventually they'd become a mismatched pair, so why not go for a more premium washing machine now. But are any of them (except Miele), really "better"? I'm looking at the likes of AEG and Bosch, but for every good review you get just as many bad ones. Really not much better than you see for a Beko model. Compare that to Miele, and the proportion of good to bad reviews falls significantly in favour of good.
But then, the lower-end Miele machines only have a 2 year warranty (for a supposedly 20-year life expectancy). For the price of that, I could buy 2 Beko machines, each with a 1 year warranty, and enough money left over for consumables. In fact, looking around, I could even get 2 Bosch machines with a 2 year warranty, or an AEG with 5 year. Looking at tear-downs, the Miele machines genuinely do have better mechanical parts in them, much better engineering design, but is it going to make that much difference in reality?
36 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Washing Machine

I would recommend an LG Direct Drive machine, something like an F1681TD and with a 10 year warranty on the motor it speaks for itself.
This has auto balance and its interesting to watch it when it goes to spin, as soon as it detects a knock it stops jiggles the load around to re-balance and tries again. Maybe only for the inner geek, but still fun.
CX
Grafter

To be honest, I hadn't even considered the two South Korean brands, LG and Samsung, but it looks like a lot of people are happy with their machines, and they're in the same price range as the AEG/Bosch/Siemens machines I was looking at.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Stick the Creda up for sale on ebay, there's actually people who collect washing machines, and they like buying up restoration projects to add to their collections... Smiley
As your Creda's probably based on the Hotpoint WM series, spare part are cheap and plentiful, and from your description it needs new drum bearings and probably a new spider among other things, having done that job on our old Creda (A "Simplicity" 1200, so pretty much the same as yours but with an updated exterior), it's quite labour intensive, but doable, and far, far cheaper than a new washer... Smiley
On;y reason I replaced our Creda is it defecated a brick, literally, the lower concrete weight shook loose and fell off mid-spin, and of you've ever seen Photinicinduction's washer torturing on youtube, yeah, it died in that way... Shocked
CX
Grafter

I'll have to stick it on. Not too bothered about the money, more that I hate wasting things in landfill.
It's in pretty good condition. A little bit of corrosion on the top lid, and under the soap drawer, and yellowing of the plastic but other than that it's spotless.
I suppose the "Made in UK" proudly printed on the front is one of the reasons it has lasted nearly a quarter of a century.
Edit: just Google'd the Simplicity 1200. You're right - it looks like the same machine, with a redesigned plastic panel.
Community Veteran

Decent looking machine, I've seen (and used) worse... Smiley
If I hadn't already got the current Hotpoint WM53, I'd have probably had that Creda, as pre-indesit buyout GEC-Hotpoint built some damned good washers that just last forever, the current Hotpoint brand is just utter tat (but then, it is just rebranded indesit rubbish!!), these old brands are worth holding onto and keeping going, as modern computerised machines are built to break the moment the warranty runs out...
Preacherlady
Grafter

I got a LG one last year and am very pleased with it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've got a John Lewis branded unit recommended by Which.  No problems to date.
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

We have bought Bosch for white goods. They've been reliable making a long guarantee irrelevant, no need for extortionate repair insurance, and no having to wait for a technician to come fix a machine. They tend to be more expensive, but the longer life more than compensates.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
PowerLee
Rising Star

I think we are on the 4th or 5th Bosch washer dryer now ( lost count ) 1st one was bought & paid for while the rest have been warranty replacements when it's been more cost effective for Bosch to just replace the machine instead of repairing the old one.
Bosch oven nearly made it to 5 years before needing a new heating element again under warranty.
Current Bosch washer dryer we have does seem to be built much better then the previous ones.
Community Veteran

Quote from: CX
I'll have to stick it on. Not too bothered about the money, more that I hate wasting things in landfill.
It's in pretty good condition. A little bit of corrosion on the top lid, and under the soap drawer, and yellowing of the plastic but other than that it's spotless.

As my relation says (he repairs and fits various appliances) if it's in good nick keep it going as long as possible. The old ones are often the best and built to last.
Community Veteran

@CX Have you tried to see if you can get a free estimate or quote for the repair of the Creda? It's obviously built like a tank so may well be worth a small repair bill assuming genuine parts are used and not pattern.
Community Veteran

If the heater is duff, then £12 for that, the noise is usually drum bearings & I paid £40 for my kit (Bearings, spider, seals, nuts & bolts, etc.), general service parts (tub seal, door seal, carbon brushes, drivebelt) about £20-30, it's just the labour cost that kills the deal...
Community Veteran

You can tell if it's drum bearings by holding the rim of the drum at the front and try to move it up and down, needless to say there should be no play in this. The noise could be any number of things, some machines have gas struts used to absorb the unbalanced spinning motion, and some machines use metal plates gripped between two friction cups, but when these fail the drum tends to be lopsided. The noise could even come from the motor bearings or when the carbon brushes aren't wearing down evenly due to bad spring pressure this too can lead to noise as well, but is very distinct like a clicking.
But from what you have said it does sound like a dead heater, so if it can be replaced by yourself for £12 then I know what I'd be doing at the weekend.
Community Veteran

Indeed, plenty videos on youtube on how to replace things in GEC-Hotpoint based washers (it's where I learned to fix my washer and gain an appreciation for these GEC-Hotpoint-based machines), a heater could be done within an hour or two... Smiley
My Creda definitely had a drum wobble in 2014, sounded like a machine gun firing when it was spinning, mostly cos the spider had broken... Shocked