cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washing Machine problem

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Washing Machine problem

A common problem with modern washing machines is that many users complain of smells, two main problems identified by various websites is that these smells are due to the use of soap powders used at low tempatures and components made of plastic rather than metal which was used in older washing machines.
The solution, other than checking to make sure the machine is plumbed in correctly is to do a monthly service wash on the highest setting but does this not defeat the whole idea of saving energy ?
Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this topic  ?
I am in the process of fitting a one way valve to the outlet pipe on the washing machine even though it is plumbed in correctly to the standard water trap under the sink just in case the problem has been water syphoning back into the machine.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Washing Machine problem

The cause is a buildup of bacteria that LOVE the 30 degree or lower temperatures that people insist we wash at (thankfully my old Creda, based on the Hotpoint WM platform, only goes down to 40!!), best way to clear it out, white vinegar and a boil wash if it has such a feature, if not, hottest wash it can do and run it empty or with some old towels (they'll come out clean anyway), heat kills the bugs, vinegar helps to de-stink it... Smiley
I'd rather have a clean, bacteria free washer to clean my clothes, if it means using more energy, not that there's much choice for me, then that is what is needed... Smiley
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

Also do not leave the washing machine door closed as this helps the growth of mound on the rubber seals.
I also do any empty wash at maximum temperature on the longest program every few months and use the cheapest powder (as these normally contain bleaches). Put it in all the drawers (pre-soak,main wash etc) that you can.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: georgelnx
Also do not leave the washing machine door closed as this helps the growth of mound on the rubber seals.

Last year I did some major work on my Creda (drum spider had broke a leg and the bearings were shot) and part of that was replacing the door and tub seals, and from my insistence of keeping the door & drawer open when not in use, the seals came out looking nice and clean, the door seal had to go regardless as it was dribbling, but aside from crud build up on the spider, it was pretty darned clean and not stinky... Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Just fitted the one way valve to the outlet pipe, the pipe is ribbed in a corkscrew fashion so jubilee clips alone will not be sufficent to make a water tight seal, fortunately I had some silicone sealant left over from another job so have used that with the jubilee clips so matter of waiting to see if it's water tight, if not it will be a visit to the local spares dept for a new outlet pipe which should cost less than a fiver.