Washer dryer issue(s) after approx 3 issue free years

TORPC
Grafter

Washer dryer issue(s) after approx 3 issue free years

We have a Washer Dryer
Make Ariston
Margarita 2000
AWD12 Advantage
It has been a great machine & has never let us down however, this evening, we have discovered it's 1st ever issue(s)
When SWMBO took the clothes out the lighter clothes was showing light brown spots, from where they had been resting on the drum.
I have checked the filter & all is clear
Upon moving the drum it sounds like there is still some water below the drum (hinting that it has not fully emptied)
There is no blockage going to the outside waste, that I can tell atm (need to look outside in better daylight)
What else should I be looking out for, that I may be inadvertently overlooking
I will pull it out  check the tightness of the belt, in the morning
Plus I will give it a service wash, without any clothes
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Washer dryer issue(s) after approx 3 issue free years

There could be a blockage in the outlet from the drum (inlet to filter) - are you missing an odd sock or similar small item?
If you remove the back cover, is there any sign of water staining or brown marks near the main bearing (or 'splatters' where water has been thrown from the pulley)?  In this case the rear bearing seal may be failing.
It's worth buying some proper 'cleaner' to run through the empty cycle.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Wearing my ex-domestic appliance test engineers hat.
Find a shallow bowl, drop the drain pipe down to floor level into the bowl, if no water comes through there is a blockage somewhere, probably in the pump itself or the hose between the pump and hose end...lost anything recently? socks are a great favourite to get into the waste area, ladies bra wires are another that jam the pump impeller but won't fail the drop hose test.
If the brown spotting appears to be scorching, are you sure the drum rotates during wash/dry cycles? may be a broken drive belt, has the noise changed? the motor may be running but the drum not turning <most noticeable during spin>
IF IT IS SCORCHING, DON'T USE IT UNTIL IT HAS BEEN FULLY CHECKED OVER
There may be a fault in the water level setting switches.
Wearing another appliance hat. I wouldn't give a wash/dryer house room, they are for too expensive to run, to be properly effective your wash load needs to be split in at least three for drying <look at the size of tumbler dryer drums compared to wash/dryer drums> this of course dependent on your wash size habits of course, small wash loads will dry better that 9lbs of towelling.
If you have room seperate <stacked even> is by far the most effective option. Wash/dryers were introduced for the seriously limited room users.
Edit: PS. If you think there is something blocking the pump, there is usually no need to move the machine too far for access. If you've managed to empty it with the hose drop, lean the machine back to an angle where it won't actually fall over, there you should be able to access the pump and hopefully remove the drain hose from the impeller housing, where if you're lucky a blockage may be or if something like a bra-wire you can get it out with snipe nosed pliers.
But for heavens sake unplug the machine first.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
TORPC
Grafter

Cheers Guys
I have not had the chance to check however will be doing so in about an hour or  so
Apparently
The drum was spinning at its mega fast speed &  if  the machine had wings it would take off (NOT my words)
No room for separates as is only a very small kitchen tbh
Who invented the idea of putting a plug socket direct behind a washing machine (albeit with a secondary switch in the furthest  hard to reach corner) same for the fridge freezer can I guess at EU rules ?Huh
One would have to pass the machine to get to the secondary switch
We all know if there happened to be a leak best case scenario it would trip the switch, worse case scenario (do not bear thinking about)
It goes without saying that I will switch off the secondary switch in the 1st instance, then remove the plug from the wall socket behind the machine in the 2nd instance
@w23
With so many different products on the market
Which Proper Cleaner would you recommend
TORPC
Grafter

Update:
The bearing is worn
Now then
The new question(s)
1. Are the part(s) worth sourcing / purchasing to repair the machine
2. Would we be better off getting / purchasing a new machine
3. If No: 1 are the parts easy to replace
4. Do I need obtain any special tool(s) other than the obvious Screwdriver(s) / Spanners / Sockets etc
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Historic experience - assuming that the bearing is the drum support bearing
Replacing the bearing involved replacing the whole back plate of the drum as it was a press fit into the aluminium housing
Whether you can get the part and costs involved only you can find out
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

espares is a good place  to look for both video's on how to perform the task and the price of the parts and once you have the part number (manufacturers) then google it to find out if its avilalbe cheaper
in my experience its often cheaper to get a new machine when the bearing has gone, since I recently had a similar problem after 4 years of heavy use in our washer, the part cost £110 and a new machine was £140 it made sense to just buy the new machine  (particularly as I would of required to employ someone to fit it for me)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: TORPC
3. If No: 1 are the parts easy to replace

When the bearing went in mine they replaced the complete drum assembly rather than replace the bearing (same model as yours as it happens) - took two engineers nearly half a day....
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nanotm
Pro

@w23
that sounds excessive, it took me less than half a day to replace the bearing on my drum assembly, it was far quicker than cracking the case to replace the entire drum assembly, and required only a few bolts + a bearing puller and then a blow torch to aid in seating the new one in place (mine was also a horrible machine to work on)
that was back when I was physically capable though unlike now Sad
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
espares is a good place  to look for both video's on how to perform the task and the price of the parts and once you have the part number (manufacturers) then google it to find out if its avilalbe cheaper
in my experience its often cheaper to get a new machine when the bearing has gone, since I recently had a similar problem after 4 years of heavy use in our washer, the part cost £110 and a new machine was £140 it made sense to just buy the new machine  (particularly as I would of required to employ someone to fit it for me)

Thanks again to all
@ Nanotm
The bearing kit is only £26.49 with p&p NDD £33.48 or STDD £30.48  from http://www.espares.co.uk/product/es660591/washing-machine-drum-bearing-and-seal-kit?PartTypeId=1553&...
The drum seal I can not locate one
For those interested, a generic tutorial for complete removal can be found  under the description of the parts
A generic in-depth photo tutorial can be found @ https://www.flickr.com/photos/wapster/sets/72157606247211061/
nanotm
Pro

yeah different machines are different prices Smiley
teach me to buy some obscure make I guess
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Agreeing with Old Jim, change the whole back plate. If the bearing it is very worn it may well have taken the seals on the drum as well, price out the cost of the complete drum back plate assembly. I've just in the last month done that for our old Zanussi, it was cheaper (or only actually saved a few quid) to replace the machine, which is what we did. And I have some experience in this area...
At a loss though what failing drum bearings have to do with failure to empty., which you implied in your OP.
If you do go down the bearing change, do not attempt to re-use the back-plate/tub seal, it won't seal properly. renew it.
Don't forget there are two bearings in the back-plate, if water has been getting through the bearing seals it will have damaged both. I have seen bearings changed, the hard part is getting the old bearings out without damaging the seatings, they can be refitted using a large long bolt and nut and washers to squeeze the bearings in rather than knocking them in...not recommended though.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
TORPC
Grafter

I forgot to add the pictures
I have
1. Screwdrivers
2. Pliers
3. Spanners
4. Torx bit
5. Torch
Will I require any special tools ?Huh
I will need to get some threadlock
Any hints or tips will be gratefully appreciated
Just to clarify & to be 100% sure before I place an order is http://www.espares.co.uk/product/es660591/washing-machine-drum-bearing-and-seal-kit?PartTypeId=1553&... the Drum Bearing kit or the spider kit ?Huh
Need to source the Tub seal (of it requires one)
[url=http://postimg.org/image/7jsieec6n/]
nanotm
Pro

it depends on what part is worn out,
its also worth noting that you will require a new drive belt as well (the original will be stretched and of no further use)
some questions first I guess
when you open the washer door can you put your hand inside and pushing against the top of the drum how far does it travel ?
if you push against the bottom of the drum how far does it travel ?
if the travel distance is more than a few inches you will be better off replacing the whole machine instead of replacing some parts
you will need a blow torch or a freeze spray (not liquid nitrogen as it will make it too cold)
this is so that you can change the temperature of the bearing + bearing housing by about 20 degrees to allow you to push fit them by hand (wear work gloves)
when you take the back off the washer you will be able to ascertain exactly what has worn and its possible you will need to change the spider (but not likely if its the counter weight type)

you will likely need to replace the subkit as well and possibly the housing (depends on how much travel the drum has and if its been rubbing the sides)
unfortunately though the outer assembly has been discontinued by the manufacturer through espares

by all means take photo's or video's and ask for advice,
oh and if the washer has support struts to keep the drum stabilised do not move it out of the vertical axis or you will need to replace them ........
TORPC
Grafter

I will answer as best as I can
when you open the washer door can you put your hand inside and pushing against the top of the drum how far does it travel ?

The whole assembly moves
if you push against the bottom of the drum how far does it travel ?

The Drum moves approx 10mm when pulling towards me before the whole assembly starts to move
Local supplier says Drum bearing kit needed at £15.00, no tub seal is required as it is a condenser
you will need a blow torch or a freeze spray (not liquid nitrogen as it will make it too cold)

Been advised by local supplier that I should not need either (even though he stocks them)
when you take the back off the washer you will be able to ascertain exactly what has worn and its possible you will need to change the spider (but not likely if its the counter weight type)

Local supplier said it should be ok (as the outer spider looks in pristine condition) with no wear to the spider(s) bearings that he could tell
you will likely need to replace the subkit as well and possibly the housing (depends on how much travel the drum has and if its been rubbing the sides)

It was finishing it's cycle when the problem 1st occurred & has been decommissioned ever since
oh and if the washer has support struts to keep the drum stabilised do not move it out of the vertical axis or you will need to replace them ........

Local supplier says I would not need to change them