cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was this bad manners?

shalom2010
Grafter

Was this bad manners?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2353581/Sainsburys-customer-shocked-checkout-assistant-refus...
I think it's really rude, continuing a phone call at a cash till - unless it's an emergency (which you could tell the cashier).
What do you think?  (Is there any respect left in 2013?)
32 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Was this bad manners?

I agree, extremely rude. If the call was that important then hang back from the checkout till it's finished minding to keep out of other's way at the same time.
I don't understand the modern obsession with having a phone permanently attached to one's ear. I'm sure that there would be many who would actually have it surgically attached Cheesy
When out and about I may make a quick call or receive a call but I rarely talk for longer than a minute or two unless I'm in the car. The landline is there for those long calls where I can sit in comfort and not have to shout so everyone can hear what I'm saying.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 104

What makes me laugh is that shop assistants don't think it's rude to carry on their conversations with colleagues whilst serving you and not giving their undivided attention, which I've experienced in many shops including Sainsbury's.
I know two wrongs and all and it's probably a small-ish majority carrying out these heinous crimes against humanity.. worthy of an article? Nope..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

My wife is a checkout operator, here answer to this is to ignore the customer, no packing of bags etc.  Wink
She thinks it is rude, I just think that it is a part of a bigger problem. Crazy
Fixes: 47

I have to hang up as otherwise it's multi-tasking and as every man knows we can't do that.
Apart from that I've never acquired that skill of trapping the phone between my ear and shoulder and I need my hands to pack and pay.
I do think it's ignorant and disrespectful.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

What I find very scary is the number of young girls with babies in buggies crossing the road, not at a proper crossing/lights, barely looking where they're going with the phone glued to their ear. As the buggy gets pushed into the road first it seems they feel that's enough to force cars to stop.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Both myself and my daughter fully agree with that one Mav.
Razer
Grafter

Something else:
I don't make or receive phone calls in public.
(It's so awkward heavy breathing at the till anyway. Cheesy)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I'd like to have heard the reaction of the people behind her in the queue - if it had been me I'd of been speaking to the store manager to praise the assistant for her actions!
I wonder how many people have contacted Sainsbury's to say they were wrong to issue an apology?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Look at the ratings (best and worst) on the comments on the mail article!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Javert
Grafter

Digressing slightly (sorry!) - my last few years at work (Local Council -retired 6 years ago) - I was on the Reception Desk for Benefits /Council Tax Benefits.  Very often a customer would already be on a call when they reached the desk - and you had to wait for them to finish! And sometimes you would be dealing with a customer - their phone would ring and they’d take the call - and we had to wait for them to finish - and we were not allowed to say anything!  Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Uhmm, however useful they are, mobile phones have their downsides don't they.
As an aside, I was under the impression that "hand-held-devices" were hardly used for making phone calls these days more for experimenting with myriads of apps and watching movies...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

If I'm at a meeting I try to remember to put my phone on silent but on those occasions I forget I simply apologise and then cancel the call and continue with with the meeting.
My view is that if it is important then whoever it is will ring back or I can ring when more convenient. If it's an emergency then dial the emergency services.

This might soon be a thing of the past http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1221940/Death-checkout-worker-Tesco-pioneers-self-service-st...
But critics warn that the move marks the end of basic human interaction

Yes we are just discussing that Wink
I use Tesco self service where I shop, put everything in my own bags as I go round, pay and leave the store. I find it so much quicker than a 'manned' checkout or 'scan your own' checkout.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I know you'll want to hang me for it but I voted to continue.
This is the 21st century. Mobile phones exist so you can talk to people while you are mobile. The checkout assistant is paid to provide a service to the customer - serve them. If the customer wants to rudely continue with their call then so be it. I don't agree with it but you don't know how important that call may be. Do I personally think it's rude? Yes but I would not be ruder telling someone I won't serve them until they end the call - thats very harsh. You just get on with it, interrupt them to get the payment and get on with it.
What I did find far worse was yesterday being at a supermarket seeing some bloke pull up and park in a parent and child bay (with no kids) using his phone, jumping out, going round the supermarket (still no kids) and seemed to think that he was the most important thing in the world. Now thats rude.
In my last job it was quite common although many of my customers would apologise before answering (I used to love chatting to them lol).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!