cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was this a Hoax ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Was this a Hoax ?

Appears a soldier on active service sent his girl friend a phone message to say how much he loved her and went on to propose, only problem is he got the telephone number wrong and another woman got the message.
It sounds a fairly detailed message but I found it odd that at no time does he mention his girlfriend name.
No doubt we will know if this was a genuine message or not in the near future.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Was this a Hoax ?

Sending a text message to the wrong person is perfectly plausible, I've done it, and I've received several.
Not mentioning somebody's name in text messages seems normal to me also.
What I'm not so sure about, is that you'd propose by text.
But, what I'm left unsure about, is how is this warrant column inches?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

it wasnt text, it was an answer phone, and he was a North East England bod, and the call was taken in the same region. thought to be a Soldier in Afgan
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: gleneagles
It sounds a fairly detailed message but I found it odd that at no time does he mention his girlfriend name.

"The soldier doesn't identify himself in the touching recording, with the only traceable information being the fact that his girlfriend's name is Samantha."
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/853708-soldier-leaves-voicemail-marriage-proposal-on-wrong-girls-phone
I consider all this publicity a confidentiality breach. If one gets a letter / email / phone call which is clearly intended for someone else then the information contained is not the receiver's to reveal. The reason that the girlfriend's name was not revealed in some reports may have been an attempt to avoid the persons involved being identified.
Not only are the contents of the call available to read but one can listen to it online making it even more likely that the caller may be identified.