Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was she wrong?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Was she wrong?

To my mind Joe Brand was wrong to suggest throwing battery acid.

I love the lady to bits, but on this she was well out of order but as is often the case in the media and the 'woke' brigade, it's free speech when it’s from the Left as Joe is, and hate speech when it’s from someone on the Right.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Was she wrong?

Yeah, that's not funny. I like JB as well, but not as much as Prince Philip.

TTman
Seasoned Champion

Sorry guys always thought JB was nasty and not at all funny. Have got to the point where ill change channel if shes onEvil

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well she does have a sort of dry self depreciating sense of humour, but she can be terribly funny at times. Each to their which is all to the good. Wink

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Anonymous 

I caught that delayed HIGNFY with Jo Brand as well.

Who'd have thought, her and him eh? 'Roll_eyes

John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

To my mind Joe Brand was wrong to suggest throwing battery acid.

... it's free speech when it’s from the Left as Joe is, and hate speech when it’s from someone on the Right.

I agree with most of what you said, apart from this bit. I can see, that if you are viewing these things from the right, you might view it that way, but equally, people viewing it from the left would say the opposite. Some (I'm sure on both sides) would go the extra mile, and say, "OK it wasn't very nice, but it was only a joke, and you're over-reacting" - I refer to "jokes" about raping MPs, as much as "jokes" about throwing acid at them. From either side, these sorts of statements are bad, and should be castigated.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@John_Hull 

So if it's a comedian it's OK but anybody else it's not, as with Danny Baker who got the boot for something far less?

I do not feel I am overeacting (à la Piers Morgan for example) in fact I'm not even saying she should lose her job but surely at the very least the lady should hold her hands up and say "sorry guys, I screwed up". As for support from the Left for Jo - who by the way refused to step down and why should she - who better than the BBC. 

Neither do I take the Left or Right position on these sort of things - those old Student Union red flag waving days are long gone.  Smiley

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

I agree about lefties in the BBC. If she had suggested battery acid and Corbyn or said anything about mu5l1ms or LGBT brigade she could well be in the tower of London listening to someone sharpening a large axe outside her cell.

If this happened on an independent channel the sponsors may well have taken their cash away, we have no such sanction over the BBC..

John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

@John_Hull 

So if it's a comedian it's OK but anybody else it's not, as with Danny Baker who got the boot for something far less?

I'm sorry, which part of  "From either side, these sorts of statements are bad, and should be castigated" wasn't clear? Jo Brand's comment was out of order, and rightly criticised.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Clear, as was I about her not being sacked... and neither should Baker have been.

Slap on the wrist for both job done, yes? 

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@wotsup wrote:

I agree about lefties in the BBC. If she had suggested battery acid and Corbyn or said anything about mu5l1ms or LGBT brigade she could well be in the tower of London listening to someone sharpening a large axe outside her cell.

If this happened on an independent channel the sponsors may well have taken their cash away, we have no such sanction over the BBC..

A bit rich don't you think ?

Especially given your remarks about using a Magnum recently...

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I used to like them when they first came out.

Now I think there's too much chocolate and not enough ice cream.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well there you go, it was all hunky-dory as far as the BBC was concerned, yet they have now edited the show. Jo has also been criticised by the PM and has been reported to the police - but not by Farage or the Brexit Party apparently. 

Curious, but not unexpected.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Just to add and just thinking...

Sat on a tube train just about to move off, or flying at 30 thousand feet when the guy next to you says "Hey, I've got a bomb in my backpack.... only kidding, ha ha ha ha, can't you take a joke?"

All for jokes from most quarters except those sort, or anything that promotes violence or filth and trust me, I'm no prude far from it but, we have to draw the line somewhere. Television certainly has with the likes of Royston Vasey aka Roy 'Chubby' Brown and you'l not see him anywhere on mainstream television, and all to the good in my opinion. 

Funny but filthy but not on my televison thanks if you don't mind.

Want nasty not nice then YouTube is where you will find that sort of thing - although of late even they have started to chop certain stuff - and not always in a good way I might add.    

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

It's " Crossing Divides On the Move Day" so when the guy sat next to you on the tube says "Hey, I've got a bomb in my backpack.... only kidding, ha ha ha ha, can't you take a joke?"  you're encouraged to have a meaningful conversation....