cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warranty replacement and warranty time left?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Warranty replacement and warranty time left?

Had a video card die on me that 2 years into a 3 year warranty, am I right in assuming that the warranty only covers the original item and not the replacement?  So it will only have 1 years warranty remaining?
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
13 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Warranty replacement and warranty time left?

think so.  Bit dubious on electrical items, but sale of goods act is 6 years, doesnt matter what the warrenty says
Community Veteran

Quote from: Gus
Had a video card die on me that 2 years into a 3 year warranty, am I right in assuming that the warranty only covers the original item and not the replacement?  So it will only have 1 years warranty remaining?

Yes, if you have a replacement card then the warranty goes from the original card purchase date and not the replacement card.  You may be lucky and get a full warranty with the new card but the retailer is under no legal obligation to do this.  Depending on the problem with the original card the retailer has a right to attempt a repair if he thinks this will solve the problem.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Or, if the card is no longer available, a refund of the residual value of the card.
This means that they take the original purchase cost and discount it by the usage you have had with an assumed life of the warranty period.
Depends on the original supplier and whether you can deal direct with the manufacturer or not
Community Veteran

Yes, you're right Jim about the warranty implications if the card is no longer available.  Technically, if this was the case then Gus would be entitled to 1/3 refund in law.
Community Veteran

All I'm after is a card of similar spec and value, just wanted confirmation that the warranty is from the original cards receipt.  I don't see getting a replacement a difficulty [Asus Brand and Ebuyer as the seller], it never was over clocked and just developed the failure last Friday after 2 years use
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

You shouldn't have a problem then.  Is the warranty from Ebuyer or Asus?
Community Veteran

Ebuyer covers  the first year then it falls to warranty  the Maker, which as it is Asus have had a 3 year warranty for video cards since 2001.
itsme
Grafter

Believe you will find that under the Sale of Goods act the retailer is held/classed as the manufacturer and is responsible for the product for 5 years (6 years in Scotland). You may have to brush up on the law and stamp your feet to get the retailer to accept this.
itsme
Grafter

http://www.which.co.uk/advice/understanding-the-sale-of-goods-act/your-rights/index.jsp
I was wrong and P_P right. It's 6 years in England and 5 years in Scotland.
Community Veteran

The six years is not a warranty.  If a product breaks down within the six years then you have to consider 'reasonability'.  The court will ask how long is it reasonable for a product to last.  If it decides a product has a life of say 3 years and is 4 years old then you have no claim.  If it decides it should last say 4 years and you have had it for 3 then you are entitled to a 25% refund. 
The same product can have different reasonable life spans.  Take a washing machine.  If it breaks down after 3 years and a family has used it daily in that time it will be viewed differently from the same machine breaking down that has been used once a week.
itsme
Grafter

As this thread is discussing a Video Card I would say that it's not unreasonable to expect it to work for 6 and more years. I wish I was more familiar with the sale of goods act a few years ago. I have a Panasonic DVD recorder which develop an intermittent fault of getting stuck in a power up loop. It was outside the manufacturer warranty but I believe still only 3 years old at the time. After a few months the fault got worst so a search on the internet showed it was a common fault and a solution was given to change a power regulator. This I did and it has been trouble free for the last 3 years or so. If I had known about the act I would have taken it back to the shop with the evidence it was a known manufacturing fault and let them do the repair
Community Veteran

Yes you're right about your DVD recorder.  I have seen a number of cases won in the SCC where the evidence has simply been that others have reported the same problem thus proving an inherent fault.
Don't have an experience as to how long a video card should last but again the amount of usage is one factor.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

we will have to wake Hulls up and ask him, its his job