Warning: Do not take this picture

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Warning: Do not take this picture

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="Warning: Do not take this picture"]
Police have been accused of misusing powers granted under anti-terror legislation after a series of incidents, ranging from the innocuous to the bizarre, in which photographers were questioned by officers for taking innocent pictures of tourist destinations, landmarks and even a fish and chip shop.

This is a symptom of police forces getting too powerful - and arrogant.  This has been done in the name of "Law and order", which you dare not criticise.  The average citizen has been brainwashed by the incessant propaganda on "Terrorism" (The excuse to do just about anything, it would seem).  Angry
Related I’m Photographer Not a Terrorist!
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Warning: Do not take this picture

A similar incident happened here on the south coast..... A guy was using a 35mm film camera.... took one picture of his local high street christmas decs and was pounced upon by two PCSO`s. who asked him for his name and address, and other personal information.  Why? because he might have been a terrorist..... (well, I wonder if he was a terrorist, would he have given them a "proper name" or a false one? ? ?) 
By the way, he was using up an old roll of film and replicating local postcard views .... and causing terror whilst doing it  (in the rain) ! ! !.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Can you imagine any self-respecting terrorist wandering around with a neck load of cameras? when he/she can get much more comprehensive information on the internet from his desk incognito.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
scootie
Grafter

there more like to use a camera phone than a digtal slr in that fact any dedicated camera.
why are the police so stupid, if some one was a terriost they would hide the fact and not stick out like a sore thumb.
shall we all go about doing citizens arrest on every one with a camera phone tomoro.
i wonder what the cops would think to one of my family members who is doing a photography degree and heads out early in the morning with tripod and ends up holding the morning traffic up because the perfect angle for the shot means they need to be in the middle of the road to get long exposure pictures  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

This is a subject at least two of the major railway magazines have been complaining of for months ,
After a long time both Network Rail and British Transport police have formally agreed that photography is permitted.
Network rail officially allow photography on stations - with reasonable conditions
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/777.aspx
British Transport Police
http://www.btp.police.uk/passengers/advice_and_information/rail_enthusiasts.aspx
Sadly there are still some jobsowrth types on some stations who are ignorant of these policies. But word is slowly getting around.
I mean would any half intelligent terrorist hang around a station with all their CCTV, rail enthusiasts with cameras etc etc.

alanf
Aspiring Pro

All this concern about taking photos of trains yet I have seen several covered with graffiti. If vandals can gain access to trains in their depots for a few hours to cause all that damage then what is to stop others doing even worse to the trains?
csogilvie
Grafter

I believe the Met Police actually produced guidelines for when a Police Officer could stop and search you under Section 42 when out taking pictures, and also on what they can ask you to do....
I can't say I've ever had any problems taking pictures, in and around London though.
Community Veteran

Especially of the adverts on tube trains ?  Cheesy
csogilvie
Grafter

That's easy to do on a camera phone (all I usually carry around with me), although you do get strange looks from the people in the carriage....  but I've done loads of pics on the underground and in stations and not had any problems.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

But with a camera phone the quality is not that good, for good quality Photos you need a single-lens reflex (SLR), and yes I do have one!  Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

thats a sweeping statement, mine is not that good, but some phones are fantastic,  I am not certain but I think the horrible pictures of the nightclub fire in Russia were taken on a phone
N/A

Can you imagine any self-respecting terrorist wandering around with a neck load of cameras? when he/she can get much more comprehensive information on the internet from his desk incognito.

Yes, Petlew is correct, especially when Google has finished spying out the neighbourhood!  Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Thank you Catz. For light entertainment, if you have it, Google Earth for some of the more sensitive areas around the world. You might be surprised at what you can see.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Bojangles
Grafter

Love these guys.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Grin
Not young enough to know everything