cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warmer Homes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Warmer Homes

I saw a clip in the Telegraph today about people keeping their houses warmer now (17.5 Deg C) compared with the 1970s (13 Deg C), We're using less energy for direct heating than we did then thanks to better insulation.
Ah the memories of bouncing out of bed on frosty mornings to play with the ice on the inside of the bedroom windows. Modern yooff are so soft.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
32 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Warmer Homes

I remember the ice on the inside of the window...promising good things for outside like sliding on frozen puddles Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
WTF
Grafter

I remember ice on the inside, too .. but without the slightest trace of nostalgia  Shocked
I can also remember how, when central heating finally started making its way into British homes, for some inexplicable reason, it never made it into the bathroom .. that being the only room in the house that most of us are regularly wet and naked.
Some things are defintely a whole lot better now
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ice on the inside of the window?  Pah!... nothing....
When we used to live on a Narrowboat, it was so cold one winter, the canal froze solid to about 4 inches... locked the boat in, couldn`t move it... and... yes, we had ice on the inside of the portholes... but also the teapot, was frozen... and that was INSIDE the boat...
Ah , the happy days ! ! .. Cheesy  I really do miss my boat.....  Cry
Community Veteran

Did you have central heating in the boat?  As in one coal stove in the middle?
Community Veteran

Quote from: WTF

, it never made it into the bathroom ..

In t'bathroom? Eee Lad sheer luxury!  We 'ad t'chip iron bath out t'snow in back yard.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Did you have central heating in the boat?  As in one coal stove in the middle?

No... we had no heating !... well, we had a big Genny on the stern, and a 2Kw fan heater... we had only moved on to it, a few months before, and was in the process of fitting out... ( bought it as a "fire wreck"... The guy doing the central heating could not start until end of Jan... we had the cold snap  middle of Jan !... just our luck..
We had Eberspacht, diesel central heating fitted, which worked very well...( eventually ). Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

What I don't understand in these times of energy efficiency are these new homes with open stair cases.
Everyone knows heat rises so why on earth would you have a staircase in your living room with no wall or door to stop the heat going straight up there?
Seems crazy if you ask me!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

An interesting article. Look at the extra costs on the therostat:
Heating Setting
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Interesting......but it's as well to remember that some older people need a higher temperature than younger people yet some elderly people seeing this chart will turn the heating down in an effort to save money, this is the very thing they should not be doing as hundreds of elderly people will die as a result of prolonged cold weather.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
some older people need a higher temperature than younger people

I couldn't agree more!
We don't feel the cold (especially if we're poor) and we also don't need any medical assistance either - only the elderly who spent all the money in their generation should be entitled to it for doing such a sterling service to this country!
Here's a few other things I think that the elderly should have help with and us young'uns should go without:
Electricity
Gas
Coal
TV
Radio
Cars - this is definitely a must for the older generation, the young ones who work should walk to work and back after a tiring day - it'll keep them fit!
Busses - These are important for the elderly as thats where they have their social lives. The youngsters should walk just like they will for work when they're older!
Railways - The elderly grew up with these and young people tend to get drunk and vomit on them anyway - disgusting little erchins
Street lights
Food
Water
Daylight
Infact I have an idea. Lets just lock up the young in dungeons like prisoners and then the elderly can have another youth courtesy of us!
I think it's a fantastic idea!
Community Veteran

What's a "bus"?
Smiley

I find it strange that the elderly can look back over a substantial timespan and form opinions base on the experience gained.
Yet the young seem unable to look forward over a similar timespan and use it to form opinions on the experience to be gained. Undecided

Quote from: AlaricAdair
What's a "bus"?

Something that goes under a low bridge and loses it's upper deck.
Community Veteran

LOL!