cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

War of the Words.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

War of the Words.

You remember  how it starts “………………No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that human affairs……………..”
I just heard Ken Bruce’s rendering, was not impressed, sounded wooden as if he was reading from a script, prompted me to listen to Liam Neeson’s version.
‘fraid I’ve got to say it but I still much prefer Richard Burton, his out-takes are even good although I don't remember 'Billericay' in the original

4 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 32

Re: War of the Words.

"oooh let me do that again, lovely stuff" Loving these out takes Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Razer
Grafter

I've had the super-duper-deluxe set, or whatever they call it, for about four years and have never listened to any of the audio discs. That said, I love Richard Burton's narration on this and have done since its release all those years ago. I'm gonna play the video you posted whilst I have a munch. It will save me touching my nice set and getting olive oil on it! As to other narrators, I wasn't aware there were any others, but I wouldn't be interested in them anyway. I really don't think anyone could better Richard Burton's original.
kmilburn
Grafter

I would worry about Ken Bruce's version as it's insignificant  (what with him being a BBC radio presenter).
Liam Neeson however, took over Richards 3D Hologram in the stage show last year,  which is sacrilege IMHO!
Razer
Grafter

I was completely clueless about what's been going on with WOTW, following the link above I ended up clicking on a promo for this 'New' one because I could see Liam Neeson in the thumbnail. His performance was so flat and empty. Not a patch on RB. Seeing other thumbnails it seems it's been re-recorded with a 'new generation' of singers. Oh the horror to see Forever Autumn done by Gary Barlow. Honesly, I'm just thinking Jeff Wayne is milking his creation for money because it's all being done to death and getting bastardised in the process. Perhaps he should change the name to 'Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of How To Sully A Masterpiece Over 30 Years Or So'.
And how annoying that a legitimate word meaning 'to debase' and that is not a swearword is censored by this forum.  Angry