Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

War Crime trial. Former Auswitz Guard found Guilty

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

War Crime trial. Former Auswitz Guard found Guilty

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36560416

94 year old sentenced to 5 yrs in jail.... 

OK. he was there.... and there were many more with him,.  and. there were many people who died in those terrible conditions, and due to the criminals that ran the camps.   I am not denying that... BUT..

Consider this.... when he was there, the court heard that he knew what was going on, but did nothing to stop it, and that, in effect was his crime, that he is going to jail for....

At the time... he was 22 years old... either a conscript or a volunteer, in the German Army... as were many others, fighting for their country,.. ( we also have a parallel army doing the same things )... 

According to the court,... he did nothing to stop the killing...... how could he... ?  22 years old, corporal, or private or whatever "lowly rank" he held... if he had said to his superior....

"Er, excuse me Herr Hitler should not be treating people like this, and I object to it, and I dont want to be a guard here"  He would probably have been taken away somewhere and shot.

I am not saying he should "get away with the criminality" of the situation, but he was hardly in a position to stop it or do anything about it , was he  ? ? 

34 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: War Crime trial. Former Auswitz Guard found Guilty

Well he should have left the army and done a runner then.

5 years is far too little for a **** who watched so many people sent to their death. He should get a life sentence.

The germans thought nothing of killing, it was an army full of aggressive psychopaths who had something wrong in the head. Killing people meant nothing to them. While I agree he couldn't change much, he could have left and got out of it. He didn't. Instead he chose to stay and watch so many innocent people being sent to their deaths who could have lived and had good lives.

WW2 had a very negative effect on the planet, many parts still have not recovered fully and if you go to some countries you can still see it. Even on the german autobahns you'll see one railway bridge after another in pieces... in poland you'll see many areas that look like they were bombed just yesterday.

I have no sympathy for these people who served Hitler.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

what did you do personally to stop Blair and his illegal war that led to many deaths?
did you up sticks and leave the country in protest?
if you didn't then can we hold you indirectly responsible for innocent deaths?

this guy was merely a pawn in the game.
Just like all the allied army people that were FORCED to take part in the war, they followed orders that resulted in innocent deaths.

Fixes: 47

7up wrote:
He should get a life sentence.

At 94, 5 years probably is a life sentence.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

He most probably the last one they charge , at his age he shouldn't go to prison just house arrest .

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Yes and consider this:

Reinhold Hanning volunteered to join the Waffen SS.

While at Auschwitz he would have lived a luxurious existence compared with his military comrades who fought on the front line.

His actions and the actions of his fellow SS guards denied millions of human beings the right to a ripe old age - something he was fortunate to achieve.

I have no sympathy for him and hope he manages to serve his full sentence.

Community Veteran

@cyrilclark1  You say that with some conviction... ( as if you know for sure that he "volunteered" freely..... .. but...

from a previous report...

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

He was said to have joined the SS forces voluntarily

in 1940 at the age of 18

at the urging of his stepmother.

In the declaration, Mr Hanning said he was sent to Auschwitz

after being wounded in battle and having his requests to return to the frontline rejected.

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

What would you have done, at the age of 18  ? under those circumstances ...

.. and would you have been so self concerned as to have taken 7up`s route at 22 yrs old, of deserting the army, and risking getting shot as a deserter?

Community Veteran

chenks76 wrote:

what did you do personally to stop Blair and his illegal war that led to many deaths?
did you up sticks and leave the country in protest?
if you didn't then can we hold you indirectly responsible for innocent deaths?

this guy was merely a pawn in the game.
Just like all the allied army people that were FORCED to take part in the war, they followed orders that resulted in innocent deaths.

Blair wasn't doing the same as Hitler. Blair did not start a mass extermination programme. Agreeably what he did in Iraq was wrong but its not the same thing that Hitler did.

As for what I did, I was not part of the armed forces. Get a grip chenky old pal.

I did however like many voice my opposition to it online, verbally etc.

Community Veteran

shutter wrote:

@cyrilclark1  You say that with some conviction... ( as if you know for sure that he "volunteered" freely..... .. but...

from a previous report...

He was said to have joined the SS forces voluntarily

in 1940 at the age of 18

at the urging of his stepmother.

In the declaration, Mr Hanning said he was sent to Auschwitz

after being wounded in battle and having his requests to return to the frontline rejected.

What would you have done, at the age of 18  ? under those circumstances ...

.. and would you have been so self concerned as to have taken 7up`s route at 22 yrs old, of deserting the army, and risking getting shot as a deserter?

He could have refused to grant his mothers wish. The fact that he wanted to go back to the frontline just proves he wanted to go and kill people.

Quite frankly I cannot quite understand how so many people here in this thread are defending a man who helped to send thousands of innocent people to their deaths.

Community Veteran

Personally I think it's the German government that got off lightly.

"Displaced Person" slave labour from the start of the war to the end of the war. "Compensation" £1500 and no apology.

Community Veteran

@billnotben

They did get off lightly, look at the power house Germany is today.

We realised that if we kept Germany down we would get no compensation from them until they were in a position to pay us back, I accept they worked hard but if we had treated west germany as the russians treated east germany they would be one of the poorest nations in europe, we gave them a chance but they seem reluctant to give that same chance to Greece and virtually control the EU.

Community Veteran

@7up.... As you, and many others on this forum, have not been in the service of their country, under a separate legal systems from the "normal" legal system of civilians..  you do not seem to grasp the seriousness of the situation as it was back then, when he joined the army.

He was, and so was all of our forces, subject to " Military Discipline"... from the moment that he "signed up"... in his case, I suspect, ( as I was not born then). he had "no option" but to join the forces of Hitler. unless, perhaps, he was in a "safe" job... and at the age of 18, that would have been difficult.

Being subject to Military Discipline he would have been ordered to do certain duties ( and not personally, but in his squad/division) ..  ..i.e. be on the front line shooting the english and american, or later, the russian army, and killing them,..... just as those of our forces were doing the same thing, killing german soldiers... ( and later other countries that we have invaded/secured the freedom of). ...

Once you have been ordered to do something, either verbally, or implicitly, by nature of Directives from the Command, or other officers, at squadron/division level, and also  standing orders/daily orders written on a notice board, or according to your training and position,

to do anything but carry out that order, is against the (Military)  law,

and therefore subject to punishment... that punishment would be delivered by a senior officer... not a court of law. as you know it today. ( nor indeed was there such courts, except for really serious "crimes" e.g. Courts Martial).

I am not defending him, for his lack of action, to stop the terrible crimes committed,  nor am I prosecuting him for the same thing.  I am just putting into the arena of this forum, what the court has done to him, and let your inner conscience give some thought as to what, or how, you ......( for "you"  - read "anyone on this forum")....   would have reacted, should you have been in his position, at that time.

( note ... this is not a personal attack on you 7up  )...

Community Veteran

Impossible to know what you would do until put in a particular situation, remember his family and friends would have supported his role in the army even though they are unlikely to have specific details.

It can be hard to turn your back on family and friends and refuse to fight, I think we shot a number of our own soldiers in WW1 who refused to fight.

Self survival is a strong instinct.

cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Quite right 7up, there is absolutely NO defence for his actions.

Community Veteran

@cyrilclark1 So what would you have done in the same situation ?