Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting a new surge protected extension strip

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Wanting a new surge protected extension strip

@twocvbloke wrote:

Well, there's the "multi-standard" sockets which lack any safety shuttering, there's the pictured plug which lacks anywhere to put a fuse (and probably has a sleeved earth pin, defeating the point of an earth pin!), and being made in china, you're guaranteed to have thin, copper-coated aluminium wire, and in something designed to bend or twist, then arcy sparky flamey house on fire fun will be a guarantee... Smiley

Firstly, it seems you make a lot of assumptions about these products and whilst you might be having a little fun at my expense I don't find it very funny. It's all very well you mocking my attempts at helping @Luzern but help are you bringing to the table exactly? Have you attempted to offer any solutions? I think not! Regardless of whether any one particular device might be unsuitable in your eyes I was merely demonstrating the various possibilities and in no way was I inferring that any one particular product would be better suited than the other.

I accept that even Amazon might sell the odd dodgy product now and then but all of these products must conform to UK Safety Regulations. I think @Luzern is intelligent enough to make an informed decision, don't you?

Luzern
All Star

Up to £35 very tops. @everyone Looking through Amazon, I see so many brands, which makes it the more confusing. How many are reliable; how many somewhere or other and just badged? My old one is Belkin, what is reputation today.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
All Star

@MKSlinky intelligent enough!

From decades of experience I'm not so sure! But thanks for the thought! Cheesy

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

@MKSlinky wrote:

Firstly, it seems you make a lot of assumptions about these products

Based on my past never to own again or recommend to anyone ownership of them, because they're about as safe as licking a uranium rod... Crazy

and whilst you might be having a little fun at my expense I don't find it very funny.

Welcome to the Plusnet forum, where stuff like this happens a lot... Smiley

It's all very well you mocking my attempts at helping @Luzern but help are you bringing to the table exactly?

I've brought the recommendation to avoid cheap and dangerous chinese tat like the pictured items if he wants his house to not end up burnt down and the insurance people saying "Nope, claim denied cos you used non-conforming electrical products", or is that not considered useful?

but all of these products must conform to UK Safety Regulations.

Funny

You're having a laugh aren't you?? The amount of, shall we say "low budget", electrical products sold on ebay and amazon, such as the ones you linked to, are sold directly from china, a country not exactly known for following the rules, I've bought and taken apart a number of electrical devices from china and some are pretty damned horrific and downright dangerous, from bare connections, to earth wires not even connected and just flapping in the breeze waiting to touch a live wire, and you'd never know just by looking at them from the outside... Smiley

For safe electrical items, go to a reputable shop, for things where you have to pretty much pull them apart, rewire and modify them to make them "safer", yeah, by all means, buy from china... Funny

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

LOL..! Grin

By the way one other member mentioned an upright tower but you were curious about stability. For me personally after not being able to find anything better I did opt for this kind (see below). I find they're stable enough due to their large footprint and being quite heavy also helps. You can tidy the cables vertically down the back with the supplied cable tidy which also adds to stability.

Admittedly this might not be what your looking for but I have the same issue. Some plugs being on the larger size do overlap other sockets and I get around this by either moving them to the bottom sockets or rearranging them so I have a smaller plug in between each bigger plug. Having 10 sockets here also helps. Although you can't see it too well in the below image this device does have an illuminated ON/OFF switch which might keep our 'twocvbloke' happy, the lamp is green when protected and orange when not.

Sadly equipment manufacturers don't seem very creative when it comes to these sort of products which all seem to lack real world needs as any home PC or AV enthusiast will quickly find out. I've never found the perfect surge protection solution and so I go with a happy medium.

SRPT122-MP-masterplug-power-tower.jpg 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

@Luzern - I use these as they are surge protected, provide USB power and the sockets are well spaced as well which helps to accommodate the larger wall wart. There are other versions of the product but you'd get two of these within your budget giving you 12 sockets and 4 USB power outputs.

Luzern
All Star

@MKSlinky wrote:

LOL..! Grin

By the way one other member mentioned an upright tower but you were curious about stability. For me personally after not being able to find anything better I did opt for this kind (see below). I find they're stable enough due to their large footprint and being quite heavy also helps. You can tidy the cables vertically down the back with the supplied cable tidy which also adds to stability.

Admittedly this might not be what your looking for but I have the same issue. Some plugs being on the larger size do overlap other sockets and I get around this by either moving them to the bottom sockets or rearranging them so I have a smaller plug in between each bigger plug. Having 10 sockets here also helps. Although you can't see it too well in the below image this device does have an illuminated ON/OFF switch which might keep our 'twocvbloke' happy, the lamp is green when protected and orange when not.

Sadly equipment manufacturers don't seem very creative when it comes to these sort of products which all seem to lack real world needs as any home PC or AV enthusiast will quickly find out. I've never found the perfect surge protection solution and so I go with a happy medium.

@MKSlinky wrote:

LOL..! Grin

I agree about imagination, but perhaps the general public similar lack is a contributory factor. To some extent  I am waryof unknown brands and Ebay, so am in some degree of sympathy with both you and @twocvbloke.

BTW you didn't give a link.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@Luzern The ones mentioned by @Mook above are made by the same people as the last one I suggested i.e. 'Masterplug'. It's a well known/established brand. I've been considering some of these myself for another project.

If you do go for one of the ones below however, shop around, the prices vary slightly from one retailer to the next. There's two colour options below and prices differ depending on which you go for.

Both products below come with a £1000 connected equipment warranty, whether this is any good I can't say.

Argos £28.99 Link  (This one also protects phone equipment and router)

9823116_R_Z001.jpg

Argos £20 Link

9822973_R_Z001A_UC489518.jpg

Read the reviews on Argos for each product, both products score an average 4.5 Stars out of 5

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@Mook Considering buying a couple of these myself, do you know if they can be wall mounted? Just wondered if they have mounting holes on the rear?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

@MKSlinky - Just looked at mine and they have the cross mount holes on the bottom. Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

12 way; £27; ugly but surge protected, here.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@Mook

Thanks for the feedback.., I just order the 6 gang version from Amazon saving me £8 over B&Q's price! Cheesy

Top man, thanks a lot!

Luzern
All Star

As an aside and for your interest  I found this article., and learned there are two types of protector; MOV and series in the article itself and the comments. My reading was that the series type's life is not reduced by surge events. Only one in Google shopping is stated, series. 

Could one guess, what most are?

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Couldn't comment about 'most' however I have had two stop protecting me. The green surge light changed from green to amber which apparently indicates it needs changing.

I use the Masterplug devices myself and something that always alarmed me was that they say in the instructions if you continue using it after the surge protection has failed it could cause a fire!!! Scared me into buying another! 

Luzern
All Star

I asked a tech dept, which replied very promptly "

ll Masterplug surge protectors use Metal Oxide Varistors (MOVs) primarily, with a few also including Gas Discharge Tubes (GDTs) for additional high power level protection.

MOVs and GDTs work like an overflow, doing nothing below their trigger voltage level but then redirecting all additional voltage over their trigger level through them (and thus away from equipment being protected beyond their position).

Series surge SUPRESSORS on the other hand work to actively damp down and dissipate excess voltage rather than redirecting it away from protected equipment.

Due to the larger number and complexity of components Series surge devices tend to be much more expensive, typically 5-10 times that of a more common MOV type equivalent.".

So, now I know!