Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting a new surge protected extension strip

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Wanting a new surge protected extension strip

I'm looking for one to cover 8 gangs, but would make do with 6. Yes, they are available, but all have regimented sockets neatly line up in a row. Strip manufacturers seem oblivious that plugs come in many shapes that can make adjacent sockets unusable, the large plug fouling its space.

Result is that my search has been abortive. Has any one knowledge of where to look for what I need? Amazon, Currys et al are useless>

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
80 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Wanting a new surge protected extension strip

In the past I've used a smaller protected strip and then plugged normal strips in to that.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Try two 4-gang joined together.

This will give you 7 usable sockets.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@VileReynard   EIGHT... !   if you plug them both into the same double adapter on the socket... ( or use a twin wall socket )... Doh  ! Roll eyes

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Luzern
Pro

I need to emphasize that the particular problem, other than the number of sockets, is the need for those sockets' angles to be rotatable, so one does not foul another. Even the Ixos fails there.

Food calls.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
DS
Pro

What about a 10 way angled socket tower one? (examples on link) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electronics-Photo/Multi-Socket-Protected-Extension-Computer/B008MYJP8Y

If two sockets became blocked due to large plugs, you should still have more than enough spares.

Fixes: 47

I have one of these behind my TV and it's full.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GYOK5LY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Correction: 13 sockets are occupied.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

I know the exact problem you describe and yes the product you seek is available, see below products.

HTB1Ay2MLXXXXXcQXVXXq6xXFXXXp.jpg

The one below is basically the same one as above, it can be bent to any shape and individual sockets can be rotated to suit your specific requirements Link

618k4B7j75L._SL1100_.jpg 

Alternatively go for something with better spacing between each socket. The product below looks quite well spaced and being multi sided means you can manage larger plugs accordingly. Available from Amazon, who'd have thought?

Link

71YtGKVSV6L._SL1500_.jpg

Or this one perhaps? Link

Hope this boosts my Star ratings!! Hint hint!! Cheesy

61R1Tklj6RL.jpg

Luzern
Pro

DS wrote:

What about a 10 way angled socket tower one? (examples on link) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electronics-Photo/Multi-Socket-Protected-Extension-Computer/B008MYJP8Y

If two sockets became blocked due to large plugs, you should still have more than enough spares.

Being vertical, how stable is it?

DS
Pro

Luzern wrote: Being vertical, how stable is it?

Don't know from personal use, but a friend has a few of these - unbalanced with phone chargers on one side - none in other side, the another tower fully loaded with various sizes of plugs and they've never had one fall over.... (doesn't mean it won't)

Community Veteran

MKSlinky wrote:

see below products.

Deathdaptors, fuseless plugs and thin CCA flex, are you trying to kill people secretly? Funny

Luzern
Pro

twocvbloke wrote:

MKSlinky wrote:

see below products.

Deathdaptors, fuseless plugs and thin CCA flex, are you trying to kill people secretly? Funny

@twocvbloke What attribute(s) cited above are you attaching to each of the three suggestions from @MKSlinky

Community Veteran

Well, there's the "multi-standard" sockets which lack any safety shuttering, there's the pictured plug which lacks anywhere to put a fuse (and probably has a sleeved earth pin, defeating the point of an earth pin!), and being made in china, you're guaranteed to have thin, copper-coated aluminium wire, and in something designed to bend or twist, then arcy sparky flamey house on fire fun will be a guarantee... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

How much do you want to spend? I can look up some of the desk PDU's we use on trading floors if you want. We tend to use the american C13/C12 plugs to save space, but there are versions based around the UK 13 amp square pin plugs.

Here's one example: http://www.dcdi.co.uk/product/331/pdu/432/dcdi-vertical-0u-uk-13a-rh-pdu though not surge protected.

If you have the money you can go all the way to remotely monitored/switched individual sockets in a strip.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.