Fixes: 19

Re: Wanting a new surge protected extension strip

@Mook - depends how many you get on each foot :smiley:

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles wrote:
People often discover a fake the hard way, ie item breaks or causes a house fire !

Can I suggest as slight rewording? 

"When the item breaks or causes a house fire, often the cause is a fake electrical item such as a surge protector."

otherwise as you'd worded it people with surge protectors would often experience house fires.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@MKSlinky wrote:

So you left Plusnet but you can't keep away from their forums..., I guess Plusnet are doing something right then?

Do you recommend your new ISP? Incidentally how much is the broadband, you forgot to mention that bit?

I'm slightly concerned by their logo which you're using as your avatar. Makes me feel like I'm staring down the muzzle of a 12 bore shotgun! :huh:

Likely this forum is a much better one than on the new ISP.

Better deals are offered to new customers, not existing ones......How do you become a new customer of PN if you are already an existing one.....very easy if you think about it.

Not that I am suggesting for one minute this was the reason for the move which were described in detail in that long tome the majority of why I and many others agreed with but I do think the point has now been made and constant links to it should be removed.

Community Veteran

@AlaricAdair wrote:

@gleneagles wrote:
People often discover a fake the hard way, ie item breaks or causes a house fire !

Can I suggest as slight rewording? 

"When the item breaks or causes a house fire, often the cause is a fake electrical item such as a surge protector."

otherwise as you'd worded it people with surge protectors would often experience house fires.

Yes, fine.

Thanks

:smiley:

VileReynard
Champion
Fixes: 17

Surely a non-surge socket - ie just a plain multi-socket would be safe then.

If you absolutely must have surge protection, you could feed it through a UPS device?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

I understand what a UPS device does but as I recall the last time I ever had a power cut was around 20 years ago. I doubt a UPS device even lasts that long so it wouldn't be a very good investment. Or would it? :huh:

Community Veteran

UPS units aren't just for powercuts, they're also AVR units (Auto Voltage Regulator), so you have a serious dip, it boosts the power output, you have a surge it cuts it down or completely isolates from the grid...

They also have built in surge-protection on separate sockets for devices that aren't to be backed up power-wise, so they're essentially a surge protector strip with extra features... Smiley

Of course, the batteries do have to be replaced now and then (between 5 and 10 years), but on the whole a UPS can last a lifetime, plus they're handy for other things like using as a portable mains supply (where you can't or don't want to run a generator), and can be connected to larger battery banks to provide emergency power when the power fails for extended periods, but that's an aside... Smiley

Community Veteran

But looking at the price of a UPS is it a realistic option ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 45

That would depend on how much value you put on the work you were undertaking in the event of a power outage, I say. I have 6 UPSs both desktop and rack mount, and to say they have saved the day would be an understatement.

Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

But looking at the price of a UPS is it a realistic option ?

Don't buy new, it's cheaper to get a good used one and change the batteries... Smiley

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@twocvbloke

Do they really do all that?! I think it's high time I did some more reading on these devices, I did nearly buy one a few years back but based on my earlier assumptions I couldn't justify having one. Like you say it depends on how you value your work and as a graphic artist work is very important to me. Sure I backup regularly but it's nice to cover all angles.

Thanks for the tips anyway. :thumbsup:

Community Veteran

So long as it's a "Line Interactive" UPS then they're worth getting, the cheaper "Offline/Standby" units aren't very good for anything other than consuming batteries and shelf space so avoid those, usually the good Line Interactive types are 24 Volt (so 2x 7Ah batteries per unit, maybe 2x 12Ah if it's a big 'un) and can last for years with the minimum of maintenance (and by that I mean looking at the front panel to see whether there's a light flashing to say it needs help!)... Smiley

There's also the "Online/Double Conversion", they're great, but forget it, they're expensive even when used!! :crazy2:

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Will bear that in mind thanks. Not planning on getting one yet mind, too many other more expensive jobs to pay for at the moment like car insurance, tax, MOT, servicing not to mention diy projects on the go. It's a cruel world!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

There is an expense in running UPS devices. They continually consume power in their own operation. This is measured in their efficiency rating.The lead acid batteries used in them can degrade faster if you don't keep the battery temperature in the range of 15 - 20 C. Expect 2-3 year's useful life if you have lead acid gel batteries. If you have frequent extended outages, this too can shorten battery life.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.