cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to help fight COVID-19 with Folding@Home?

Highlighted
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 135

Want to help fight COVID-19 with Folding@Home?

Anyone seen this?

Folding@home is a distributed computing project that’s been around for about a decade now. It’s named after “protein folding.” If you install the software and join a project, it runs in the background and uses spare graphics processing (GPU) power to run calculations.

The initiative has joined researchers around the world working to better understand the 2019 Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) to accelerate the open science effort to develop new life-saving therapies. By downloading Folding@Home, you can donate your unused computational resources to the Folding@home Consortium, where researchers working to advance our understanding of the structures of potential drug targets for 2019-nCoV that could aid in the design of new therapies. The data you help generate will be quickly and openly disseminated as part of an open science collaboration of multiple laboratories around the world, giving researchers new tools that may unlock new opportunities for developing lifesaving drugs.

Unbelievably, the combined computational power from these efforts is now more powerful than the world's top 7 supercomputers combined!

I've just installed the client myself to do my bit as I've got a fair bit of GPU processing grunt sat idle. If anybody else fancies following suit, then I've created a Plusnet Community Team you can join. Team ID is 248929.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Pro

Re: Want to help fight COVID-19 with Folding@Home?

Just joined and folding as I type.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I'm not opposed to it however back in 2008 folding@home was a big thing for cancer - and has it produced a cure in 12 years? No.

So whats different about this virus? - We know soap, disinfectant etc is good against it and they're now having luck with HIV treatments...

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 135

Has anything else produced a cure for cancer? 🤔

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

It`s not about a "cure" ... it is about the computational POWER, reducing the processing times for whatever researchers are using it for...  making the cost of providing a "super computer" a " non -event"   thus saving money to put more research into  the problems, rather than paying for the hardware and software to go with it..

Wink