Walking

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Walking

How do you walk ?
Advice for foreigners on how Britons walk
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28352045
The one rule I always follow, is to place myself between Children and the road, whichever side of the road the pavement is on.
Same goes for Female Friends, Wife etc.
And strangely enough, I have noticed in the UK, that males tend to walk on the RHS of their partners (And sleep on the RHS of them too) which I put down to the relative positions in a Car, with the (Male) driver being on the RHS whilst in the Car.
I also notice the converse in other countries, especially America.
There must be a study on this somewhere.
6 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Walking

I had some words with another pedestrian a couple of months ago. On a very narrow path along a not too busy road into a town. The path was just about wide enough for us pass but a risk of stepping in the road. The other pedestrian was determined for me to be close to the kerb with the oncoming traffic behind me. I stopped and told her it was safer for her to be closer to the kerb as she could see the oncoming traffic. Her response was I could turn my head to look behind me.
Typically I will walk close to the kerb to face oncoming traffic so effectively walking on the left.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: PlusComUK
How do you walk ?

And strangely enough, I have noticed in the UK, that males tend to walk on the RHS of their partners (And sleep on the RHS of them too) which I put down to the relative positions in a Car, with the (Male) driver being on the RHS whilst in the Car.

If not,      then I am going to apply for a grant of £500,000 to carry one out !  Cheesy
TORPC
Grafter

Ask Ted Heath & this will be your answer
Fixes: 47

I also subconsciously place myself between the road and the people I am walking with if the are children or ladies.
As I understand it the gentleman places himself between the lady and the road so as to be able to raise his cloak to protect the lady from water and debris thrown up from the road by passing traffic...e.g. horses and carriages etc.

I was out waking a few weeks ago and a gentleman of overseas parentage approached on the path on a course to pass me on my right.
30 feet or so he moved over to my side of the path causing me to move to my right and we passed.
I glanced back and saw him immediately move back to his original course.
He presumably wished to assert his superiority......he was very heavily developed.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 125

I try to keep to a straight line where possible and where I live that's achievable most of the time.
If I'm out with SWMBO or little Miss Mav then I always walk closest to the kerb. My reasoning is that I may have a better chance of pushing either out of the way should a car come careering out of control. Failing that it would hit me first possibly saving them from serious injury. Thankfully that has never happened.
SWMBO was flabbergasted by this when we first started going out especially after crossing the road and I would change sides. It actually used to annoy her  Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: PlusComUK
How do you walk ?
(And sleep on the RHS of them too) which I put down to the relative positions in a Car, with the (Male) driver being on the RHS whilst in the Car.

Begs the question.."How many American couples have you slept with?" Grin Grin.
You have led a full and wonderful life  Grin