Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wacqui Jacqui strikes again!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Wacqui Jacqui strikes again!

[quote=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8020039.stm]
Plan to monitor all internet use
Communications companies are being asked to record all internet contacts between people to modernise police surveillance tactics in the UK.
Home Secretary Jacqui Smith ruled out creating a single database - but wants companies to hold and organise the information for the security services.
The new system would track all e-mails, phone calls and internet use, including visits to social network sites.
Ministers say police and the security services need new tools to fight crime.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
77 REPLIES
maranello
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Wacqui Jacqui strikes again!

I would happily agree to forward all my emails to the police and security services. It may take me some time, but I could make a start on the contents of my spam folder. Tongue
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Superuser
Superuser

It just shows how out of touch ministers are with technology Roll eyes
Creating and storing the data is a big enough task - but being able to make any constructive / coordinated use of the multiple data sets will be a major challenge.
Community Veteran

The idea is not for storing the contents of packets, it is a case of logging ipaddress you are connecting with.
As has been stated many times, just get VPN to fool this one. Sad
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

shall I start with the 883 back scatters I got one day this month Cheesy Cheesy
Community Veteran

Have you tried imodium ...
--
3Mb FTTC
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Cheesy Cheesy Embarrassed
jtn
Grafter

So, the police and the SS need new tools to fight crime, Going on some of the past records they haven't learnt to use their present tools properly yet ( apart from the good old fashioned baton ). At least jaqui has learnt that databases and the government don't mix so has ruled out creating one, thus saving the taxpayer millions.
Cheers
Jon
Community Veteran

Quote from: godsell4
Have you tried imodium ...
That's very funny
Community Veteran

Quote from: jtn
At least jaqui has learnt that databases and the government don't mix so has ruled out creating one, thus saving the taxpayer millions.

Really?
It's going to cost the ISPs money to put in place all that is needed to meet this requirement. Who do you think will bear the cost in the end?
Just another form of indirect taxation. Angry
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jtn
Grafter

Hadn't looked at it that way jelv. Reckon I've got too used to indirect taxation :-(
Cheers
Jon
Community Veteran

It also means that if this database is in the hands of ISP's the information can not be left on the seat of a taxi by an MP or civil servant. So the ISP will get the bad reputation for any breach of security.
However, if all this database contains is that ip-address-plusnet-godsell4 has sent/recieved some packets between ip-address-google ... I really do not care too much.
--
3Mb FTTC
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

And after the tax hike (they like to use 'to help the environment' excuse .. I'll be interested to see how they justify it).
How long will it be before they lose the data on a couple of CDs?
Community Veteran

Not to worry - this bunch of incompetent crooks won't be around much longer and the Tories have signified that they are against it.
scootie
Grafter

Tories have signified that they are against it.

have you learnt nothing about politicians. if labour does any thing slightly dangeous in new laws ect . the tories will say they would do it better and scrap that plan.
they never say how they will go about doing it diffrently tho do they just the they will do it diffrently if they get in number 10(they will say anything to get back in power). if camo thinks he can get back into number 10 all because labour where the unlucky ones to be in office when the recession hit. he can think again
lets not forget cammo's big momment of riding in to office to be green, why his car followed him with the odd bit of papper he might need Grin plus all the media bikes and cars due to the stupid stunt. yeah real green
@PN staff and customers.
now is it possable for PN to inform the community that a request has been made to access this database. i am not saying i want to know who made the request ect(would be nice tho) just that we are informed that a request has been made. would be interesting to know how many times they access the info
would this be illegal for PN to publish this very very limited bit of information?