cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI hotspots (free) password register ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

WIFI hotspots (free) password register ?

There are quite a few places/businesses that let their customers use a free wifi access, whilst on the premises.... like pubs, garden centres, coffee shops. McD. Subway..etc.... Once you have frequented these places, and obtained the password, you don`t have to "enter" the premises, or make a purchase, to use it next time... you can just stand outside.... so the password is " open ".. really, and available to all and sundry..
how about a register, on here? of all the passwords you have collected on your phone/tablet  for the places you frequent....?
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: WIFI hotspots (free) password register ?

Is that legal - I ask because I really haven't a clue as to whether it is or not
TORPC
Grafter

I agree with OJ
That is a grey area tbh
albeit
The individual business is trusting that you would keep frequenting & spending money & in return you get the trusted to you password
Whilst I think it is a great business model, to offer free WiFI
It needs to be thought out more
For instance by all & sundry passing on passwords would indeed revoke trust / increase security concerns et al
How do you know or the business concerned know, how safe & secure it has been set up (are you being watched by the IT firm dedicated to set it up) / by the business itself / or hackers
Fixes: 125

Two years ago I stayed in a hotel in Torquay and asked for their free wifi password.
Last year I stayed at the same hotel and was issued the same password which, incidently, is issued to all guests so not room or person specific.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Goto the play store, and search for "free wifi" there are several apps there that will "share" the free passwords, allowing you to automatically login to an "open"/free wifi.
Not that I use it myself  Wink
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool Just remember public and free wifi should always be treated as untrustworthy wifi, even when encrypted. So avoid banking and shopping.
Anyways, lest us not forget that free wi-fi often comes with a £4 Latte and a £3 muffin - for two And those establishments are more likely to cycle the Passcode every day. So you might be better off getting a 3G dongle and data SIM - which you can use anywhere without the need for crowdsourcing the passcode.
Or you could go to BT / Sky / Virgin who have hotspots included in their deals - isn't that right PlusNet?
TORPC
Grafter

IIRC
It was reported that PlusNet Trailed it or something similar, under a different name a while back, but did not take off
Although I could be mistaken
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I don't recall that but with the growing popularity of smart phones and tablets it would seem to be something Plusnet should (re)consider.
Fixes: 105

Quote from: TORPC
It was reported that PlusNet Trailed it or something similar, under a different name a while back, but did not take off

there used to be OpenZone access many years ago, but it was flaky.
Will Moderate For Thanks
TORPC
Grafter

Was that flaky in the amount of interest or lack thereof ?Huh
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool Given PlusNet's proximity to British Telecom, maybe PluNet could offer some deal whereby it's customers can access BT/FON Hotspots for "free" by paying an additional amount of say £25 a year or £3 per month. Not sure how that would work, but it would give Craig Murray something to cheer about the next time he visits poncey London.
BTW I was just wondering, in the advert when Craig leads the librarian hoards out of the restuarant having dropped all of the food on the floor [ for some poor eastern european zero-hour staff member to clean up ] did he, and his followers actually pay the bill?
Lips are sealed http://www.thecraigmurray.com/
TORPC
Grafter

No events found  Shocked  Lips are sealed
Fixes: 105

Quote from: TORPC
Was that flaky in the amount of interest or lack thereof ?Huh

It was the time before 'free' wi-fi and it was flaky in the fact half the time it wouldn't authenticate
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Oldjim
Is that legal - I ask because I really haven't a clue as to whether it is or not

Neither have I..... which was the "unwritten" part of the question/suggestion !... Well Done, Jim....
How legal is it... if you have already got the password, and you meet your cousin from Australia, in the same venue, and they want to use the wifi.... they ask you for the password, and you pass it on ........
Which is not dissimilar to my original posting  ? ? ? 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

When I work away from home I make straight for Witherspoons free Wifi an a pint or two of IPA and as steak!
Hog Heaven Roll eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra