cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WFP

nadger
Rising Star

WFP

For fellow oldies this years Winter Fuel Payment went into our account today although not yet received written notification.
61 REPLIES
jmd
Grafter

Re: WFP

Mine is not showing in account today!  You must be favoured Nadger!
nadger
Rising Star

It was paid on same Monday last year - surname begins with "C" which may have effect or they pay the older oldies first  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Still waiting for mine to, expecting it in about 22 years!!!
jmd
Grafter

Mt surname begins with D so perhaps next week!  Sorry Chilly you have to be old to get it........................ but by time you get to that stage they probably won't have any money to pay you!
nadger
Rising Star

Slightly soggy brown envelope, from DWP,  has just been delivered by a really soggy postman. Mind you the chap who knocked earlier to see if we wanted hedges cut looked even worse - imagine doing that job today.
If WFP increased at same rate as fuel prices Chilly would be an instant millionaire  Cool
Community Veteran

Got mine and my name begins with a W the best bit is they sent me a letter last week saying I could have it as I hadnt filled the form in right. I had put on the form that they hadnt got the right name and put my correct name so they sent the notice out in the wrong name again.
Its crazy what computers can do I ran a LTD company and some pratt at Inland revenue added my name twice and then my partners name onto my name so instead of being jan wright I became jan wright micheal micheal sarah jayne grey wright.
The same database is shared so when I signed on the dole they said i couldnt as I didnt exist and again when I applied for the pension I couldnt get it as I didnt exist I had to jump through hoops to prove I was me like getting signed affidavits etc.
The tax sorted it out in the end and put my right name and then sent me a refund to  jan wright micheal micheal sarah jayne grey wright. 3 times which I couldnt cash I kept ringing them going through the security and then asking them what my name was they thought I was stupid why dont you know your own name they asked.
They said my name was correct so couldnt understand why the cheque was going out in the wrong name.
Community Veteran

I'm not old enough to get this yet, but how much is it?  I thought it was in the region of a couple of hundred pounds.  That being the case, isn't that enough to pay the heating bill for the whole of the winter (at least).  Please don't get me wrong, I'm not against it being paid to you old folk, but how come I still see on the news every few days, that olduns are struggling to pay their heating bills?
Just interested.
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Which country do you live in - just do a search on Pensioners Heating Bills in Google
nadger
Rising Star

@hulls
For people between age of 60 and 79 it's £250 per household this year.
Our 3 bed semi has good loft insulation, double glazing and cavity foam insulation but central heating is in need of some tlc -  £250 will possibly cover the gas and electric bills for 3 winter months.
Recently there was big play made of the increased cold weather payments - I think that this kicks in if it stays below zero for 7 days but I can't recall it being paid in recent years.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
For people between age of 60 and 79 it's £250 per household this year.
Watch this space I think, maybe as early as next week.
IIRC it's intended to cover the additional costs of heating during the winter months not the full cost.
If, like me, you're on some sort of averaged regular payment system it's almost impossible to know what that is of course.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Recently there was big play made of the increased cold weather payments - I think that this kicks in if it stays below zero for 7 days but I can't recall it being paid in recent years.

dont forget global warming
Any one new to this game, the payment is to, as said the House,  can be confusing  at first, say one person is the correct age, they get the £250, then when another reaches that age the £250 is split between  them, dont know what it is if three people?
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
Which country do you live in - just do a search on Pensioners Heating Bills in Google

Hi Oldjim
I'm not having a go.  Please don't think I am.  I'm very happy for pensioners to be given help with their heating in the winter (I hope to be old myself one day).  I was just genuinely interested in the level of the help, in comparison to how much heating costs over the winter months.  To be fair, I don't actually know what my own gas bill is (I've a wife that takes care of that stuff).  I'll go and have a look later.  My only point is, that if the extra heating costs £200 over the (let's say) 4 months, and the household gets given £200 extra to cover it, then that's great.  If the extra heating costs £300, and the household gets £200 then I would support raising the allowance.  If the extra heating costs £100 and the household gets £200 - happy Christmas.  Smiley
I tried your suggestion and it didn't help me to see what an average heating bill is.
John
techguy
Grafter

With respect John, its been a long time indeed since £250 would cover the fuel bill all winter.
If memory serves me correctly, my parents pay at least £100 for gas each month on a DD.
I'm of the opinion that utilities should be nationalised and pensioners (and the severely disabled) should only have to pay a very small amount (£10 a month) for their electricity and gas.

Community Veteran

Techguy
I've now had a look.  We pay around £65 / month on DD (that is supposed to be averaged out across the year of course, so we overpay in the summer and drop back in the winter).  We are in a 3 bedroom end terrace, single glazed, with 4 of us usually here.  With that in mind, I suppose £100 a month for heating would be about right.
As I said, please don't misunderstand me.  I believe strongly that, if people have worked and paid into the system all their lives, then they're entitled to be supported in this way.  I was merely genuinely interested in whether the balance is right.  It sounds as if £250 covers about 2/3 of the cost of heating an average home for the 4 coldest months.  The implication is that some pensioners may be tempted to turn the heating down (or off) for part of that time.  That hardly seems right.
Maybe we should ALL move to Scotland:
Every pensioner in Scotland is to be offered free central heating in a drive to halve their fuel bills and save lives in winter.
Scottish ministers have announced that all pensioners, regardless of whether they own their home, will qualify for the free installation, worth on average £2,500. Housing association and council tenants in Scotland will also qualify for the £350m scheme, which ministers say will start next April.
Quote from The Independent web site.
John