cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WDF is that?

Community Veteran
Posts: 4,773
Thanks: 1,055
Fixes: 27
Registered: 16-10-2014

WDF is that?

Hi,
I was making bacon sandwiches for lunch earlier and I noticed some white gloop coming out of the bacon (fried in butter with a little oil to stop the butter burning). I managed to gather it to the center of the pan and lifted it out with my tongs! On closer inspection I can only describe its look as that of Greek yoghurt and its consistency of warm jelly.
Anyone have a clue as to what it could be? I know it won't kill me as I have seen it before but all the same...
P.S. It was Sainsbury's 'Be good to yourself' smoked medallions.
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,322
Thanks: 467
Fixes: 1
Registered: 21-03-2011

Re: WDF is that?

It's a sign you've been paying for expensive water. Meat companies often inject bacon with water (and chemicals) to make it "more succulent". Whet they are really doinging is adding weight. Good dry cured bacon doesn't produce white gunk when it is fried.  I would imagine the white gunk is harmless, but of no benefit to you.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Posts: 4,773
Thanks: 1,055
Fixes: 27
Registered: 16-10-2014

Re: WDF is that?

Ah! But water should evaporate, why would it produce such a residue? I know about the Dry Cured bacon I think I saw the same TV program as you  Tongue
Community Veteran
Posts: 4,599
Thanks: 753
Fixes: 3
Registered: 06-11-2014

Re: WDF is that?

It's salt & preservatives mixed with proteins that have been injected into the meat, they claim it's harmless, but you never know....
Community Veteran
Posts: 4,773
Thanks: 1,055
Fixes: 27
Registered: 16-10-2014

Re: WDF is that?

Yuk! But, all I can say is that if I wake up dead in the morning, I'm not going to be very happy!
Community Veteran
Posts: 7,923
Thanks: 600
Fixes: 8
Registered: 02-08-2007

Re: WDF is that?

Quote from: twocvbloke
It's salt & preservatives mixed with proteins that have been injected into the meat, they claim it's harmless, but you never know....
Smoking was classed as harmless at one time.
If you like bacon buy it from a farm shop that cure their own bacon, you might live longer.
Community Veteran
Posts: 13,923
Thanks: 515
Fixes: 7
Registered: 01-08-2007

Re: WDF is that?

Quote from: AlaricAdair
It's a sign you've been paying for expensive water. Meat companies often inject bacon with water (and chemicals) to make it "more succulent". Whet they are really doinging is adding weight. Good dry cured bacon doesn't produce white gunk when it is fried.  I would imagine the white gunk is harmless, but of no benefit to you.

I remember either Jamie Olilver or Gordon Ramsey showing this done on TV years ago with a chicken. It swelled up to twice the size and stayed that size through cooking and cutting yet you'd never knoiw it to look at it.
Quite disturbing really isn't it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Posts: 4,773
Thanks: 1,055
Fixes: 27
Registered: 16-10-2014

Re: WDF is that?

It's not just disturbing it's tantamount to fraud when you think about it. After all I was buying bacon not bacon and water. If the water is added to the bacon to make it "more succulent" does that not then imply it wasn't of the right quality in the first place. Meaning of course that not only are you paying for the water but also what in theory could be 'inferior' meat!
Gawd, the next thing we know they'll be serving us horse meat!
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,322
Thanks: 467
Fixes: 1
Registered: 21-03-2011

Re: WDF is that?

10% added water in bacon is permitted.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Posts: 16,848
Thanks: 1,135
Fixes: 13
Registered: 06-11-2007

Re: WDF is that?

Quote from: Mook
Hi,
I was making bacon sandwiches for lunch earlier and I noticed some white gloop coming out of the bacon (fried in butter with a little oil to stop the butter burning). I managed to gather it to the center of the pan and lifted it out with my tongs

! On closer inspection I can only describe its look as that of Greek yoghurt and its consistency of warm jelly.
Anyone have a clue as to what it could be? I know it won't kill me as I have seen it before but all the same...
P.S. It was Sainsbury's 'Be good to yourself' smoked medallions.


I used to get that stuff in my oil filler cap on my old Triumph Herald(s) and Vitesse 6 engines....
was a combination of Oil and water (condensation/leak)... churned up by the engine and heated to produce the gunk...in the breather pipe, and breather/filler cap 
Don`t think it did the engine(s) any harm, as none ever let me down....  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Posts: 7,923
Thanks: 600
Fixes: 8
Registered: 02-08-2007

Re: WDF is that?

Quote from: Mook
It's not just disturbing it's tantamount to fraud when you think about it. After all I was buying bacon not bacon and water. If the water is added to the bacon to make it "more succulent" does that not then imply it wasn't of the right quality in the first place. Meaning of course that not only are you paying for the water but also what in theory could be 'inferior' meat!
Gawd, the next thing we know they'll be serving us horse meat!
We were being sold horse meat for ages.
As to injecting water into meat you would expect the EU would put a stop to it as it is of no benefit to the consumer
Superuser
Superuser
Posts: 10,022
Thanks: 1,562
Fixes: 19
Registered: 22-08-2007

Re: WDF is that?

Now you really are having a laugh - when has the EU ever done anything beneficial for the consumer?

Can we buy our veg, sweets and other produce in units we recognise (pounds and ounces)?  NO!
Can Ofcom impose whatever sanctions they like on BT?  No not without EU approval.
Can we buy our petrol in gallons?  NO!
Can we buy curved cucumbers which are perfectly edible? NO!
Can we demand that Halal slaughtered meat is clearly labelled as such?  NO unless the EU decides to require it.
Can we buy powerful vacuum cleaners if we want to?  NO!
Can we buy traditional tungsten light bulbs which give warm comfortable illumination?  NO!
Can we replace a central heating boiler without the cost burden of messing with every radiator in the system?  NO!

The EU does very little which benefits this country and its consumers.  It interferes where there is no need to meddle and simply results in spiralling costs for each and every household.
Community Veteran
Posts: 4,773
Thanks: 1,055
Fixes: 27
Registered: 16-10-2014

Re: WDF is that?

Quote from: shutter
I used to get that stuff in my oil filler cap on my old Triumph Herald(s) and Vitesse 6 engines....
was a combination of Oil and water (condensation/leak)... churned up by the engine and heated to produce the gunk...in the breather pipe, and breather/filler cap 
Don`t think it did the engine(s) any harm, as none ever let me down....  Cheesy

Mmm, not quite an emulsification, it was to white consistent to be that, but I know what you mean.
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,345
Thanks: 609
Registered: 23-09-2010

Re: WDF is that?

Quote from: Townman
when has the EU ever done anything beneficial for the consumer?

They seem hell bent on ultimately benefiting the consumer.
By not missing any opportunity in proving they are not fit for purpose.
Quote from: shutter
I used to get that stuff in my oil filler cap on my old Triumph Herald(s) and Vitesse 6 engines....

All I remember about the Herald is the incredible turning circle and the Vitesses wheel jump out suspension.
Community Veteran
Posts: 4,599
Thanks: 753
Fixes: 3
Registered: 06-11-2014

Re: WDF is that?

Quote from: Townman
Can we buy powerful vacuum cleaners if we want to?  NO!

Erm, you can, you just have to buy a decent brand rather than some high-wattage screamervac... Grin
I have a Tristar CXL vacuum, american designed (one of their few creations that actually worked, first come up with in the 1930s, and a version of which is still made today), coupled with it's electrically operated power nozzle, it uses less than 1200 Watts and outcleans a fleet of dysons, the difference is simplicity of design and using a decent 2-stage motor, so, you CAN buy a powerful vacuum, but it's not the watts that matter, it's the CFM and waterlift figures that matter... Smiley